Sign in to follow this  
coueshunter

Where do you find most sheds????

Don't forget to look where the new green feed is coming up. It seems like in April (when they shed) there is usually new green stuff coming up on the slopes and benches where I find most of my sheds. By the way Scott, I checked the regs and it is ok to spotlight for sheds as long as you don't have a firearm in the vehicle. Hehehe. Travis

Josh,

Thanks for the info. I went out the other day around here with my husband and didn't find any. Kinda suprised me because I don't think anyone else hikes around in there. Maybe I walked too fast!

Josh, do you ever search really thick scrub oak brushy hillsides? I know WT spend a lot of time in that stuff, which is usually on northfacing slopes. It's just so difficult to see and walk around in that I figure it isn't worth the effort. But since the deer spend a lot of time there and there is plenty of stuff to bump their antlers off, you would think some would drop in there.

Amanda

Bret, I know you southern AZ boys hate to admit that a Coues deer could ever live in the pines but it's true my man.

Amanda, yes I have looked in those kind of spots but I've never really come across much. I do find lots of beds and rubs in those kinds of areas but I just can't seem to ever find many there. I think that most sheds are dropped in areas where they feed around. I have found a couple where it looked like a buck had bedded there but mostly on southfacing slopes is where I find em. Don't get discouraged just keep trying, I've gone days and days without finding any before.

Josh

Josh,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if we find more sheds in the open areas because they are easier to spot there vs the bedding areas. But perhaps they really do shed more in the open.

Amanda

I like the idea of having a shed hunt, I can't think of any places that would hold enough sheds for a group of people. I like Alans idea of seeing who finds the most sheds in a morning and meeting for lunch or dinner. Maybe we could just pick a certain unit.

Travis

I agree with everyone about finding sheds on the south facing slopes, I've found plenty on the south slopes myself from walking and even glassing. I am kind of suprised that nobody is talking about bedding areas? I have found plenty of coues sheds in bedding areas. In fact the largest coues shed I have is a typical 4 point from New Mexico. I only found the one side but it scores 54 inches by itself. I think most of the larger sheds I have found come from areas of thick cover. My guess is the reason so many of us focus on the south facing hills is because they tend to be more open which allow a person to see more ground, or in other words they are the "easy pickins". However, I think in reality the big bucks spend very little time in the open where most people spend there time looking for sheds. It is true that sheds are where you find them, but with my time spent looking for sheds I will concentrate on thicker bedding and transition type areas where the big bucks like to hole up. Good Luck!