azgutpile

Tripod Question

I'm currently looking for a new light weight tripod and the Slik Pro 634 Carbon Fiber appears to have everything I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this tripod, or is there another light weight tripod that I should consider?

Thanks,

I'm currently looking for a new light weight tripod and the Slik Pro 634 Carbon Fiber appears to have everything I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this tripod, or is there another light weight tripod that I should consider?

Thanks,

I've had a Slik tripod, but not that model. They make a good product for sure. I'm using a Manfrotto 190 CXPro3 now. Carbon fiber, nice and lightweight and bulletproof.

Thanks,

I would not get this model. Get the Manfrotto 190CX or the 055CX. The 055CX is taller but will be heavier. The issue with Slik Carbon Fiber Tripods is the twist legs instead of the lever legs. I purchased the Slik 634 and returned it because the legs were just a pain to extend. It takes too long to twist each leg and extend them to what length you need them to be. I am not sure why they did this only for the carbon fiber models. Their AMT models use the lever action which is fast and easy. For some reason I didn’t see this when I purchased it. I received it and immediately noticed the legs and returned, thenpurchased the Manfortto 055CX Pro which is everything I need it to be. Of course this is all personal preference and some people like the twist legs. Good luck and hope it works out!

I have one and it is great! i don't even notice the weight in my pack vs. my old tripod. I set it up with a Manfrotto 501 HDV with the CLAW on top and it hold my 12 pound rifle dead solid!

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Westernhunter23, The tripod that I'm currently using has the twist locks, and I've gotten use to it. Let me know if that was your only issue.

Thanks again,