Sign in to follow this  
shylopolito

Age of this buck?

I was wondering if yall could help me maybe estimate the age of this buck. We've been watching him for a while now, also found his sheds from last year which I taped out at around 90 inches. Most of the pictures are from summer but we do have one of him hard horned.

post-3471-0-13700000-1329960397_thumb.jpg

post-3471-0-04547800-1329960440_thumb.jpg

post-3471-0-97734500-1329960492_thumb.jpg

post-3471-0-32069900-1329960575_thumb.jpg

I was curious how you found his sheds.....I have a buck I have on camera for 2 years and am having a heck of a time trying to find his sheds. I have seen him in October (during my daughters' youth hunt-missed him!) and have trail cam pictures of him in December. All the locations I have seen him or have pictures of him are within 1/4 mile in steep terrain. Did you have luck finding his bedding areas, watering, feeding? I guess I am looking for some help.

I would guess your buck around 4 or 5. He does look a little bigger than 90 inches though!

jeff

I would agree on the 3 to 4 years old....Mostly because he is still hanging out with 2 and 3 year old deer. You have pics of him hanging with that group from velvet into hard horn. I tend to notice that 5 and up bucks tend to start living by themselves or pair up with another 1 or 2 older bucks. or sometimes hang with bucks till they strip their velvet. Not saying that you don't ever see an older buck with other young bucks but I think more than not they kind of just run into each other. I tend to notice that the older bucks don't really hang together with them that much. The bigger older buck will bed in a different spot away from the younger bucks and more than not he really does his own thing. I think feed and water draws them together more than anything. I was trying to keep an eye on a buck awhile back. When I first found him he was with a big group of bucks, i think there were 6. But more times than not when I went there to look for him all the bucks but him would be there. Just when it seemed like I should look somewhere else he would pop back in with that group of bucks again, then leave again. Birds of a feather flock together, so to speak. Anyone else notice this happening?

@Becker, I've seen this several times and it can be a pain, especially the week leading into a hunt. I was watching a nice buck about 6 years old and some times he would be with a group of 2-3 year old bucks then other days he would be by himself. I Also noticed that the real old bucks, the big ones past 110, tend to hang out with a buck around their same age as well as a doe. Not sure why they hang out with a doe but that's what I've noticed over the years.

+1 on the age. Also +5 on the doe thing for three years been watching a nice buck he hangs out with a doe exclusively