elkaholic

new non-resident laws

thought this was news- in case some do not know !!;;;

Important new legislation in New Mexico (effective April 1, 2012) could affect your hunts there. If you have recently booked a hunt in this state, or are considering it, you need to talk with your outfitter soon to determine the possible impact of these new rules.

It's reported over the last several years on the efforts in New Mexico to limit nonresident permits. In March last year, the reported that Senate Bill 196 had been introduced into this state's legislature and would have restricted nonresidents to 10 percent of the licenses in the drawing, cut unguided nonresidents to only two percent, and reduce the outfitter pool to a total (both resident and nonresidents) of eight percent of the licenses. Before that, up to 22 percent of the permits could be issued to nonresidents and allowed up to 12 percent of the licenses set aside for use by the outfitters.

What the recently passed legislation has done is limit the number of nonresident licenses to no more than 16 percent of the total licenses issued, meaning that 84 percent must now go to residents. It also reduced licenses to 10 percent of the total for both residents and nonresidents who are contracted with a New Mexico outfitter prior to the application and only six percent to nonresidents who are choose not to use an outfitter. It does allow leftover licenses from the drawings to be sold to nonresidents, but only after being offered to residents. And, if you have booked for a cow elk hunt for you or your family, the special draw antlerless elk hunts are now exclusively for residents, as are licenses for hunts on ALL of the state wildlife management areas.....

You need to have a signed contract before you put in and you can no longer use a outfitter number and go unguided...

PS - ALL we want is the same rules that AZ has..

J-

Does Arizona have a rule that requires non-residents to hunt with a guide?

You are correct.. AZ doesn't .. AND most Resident Hunters HATE those Outfitter Subsidies.. I have been against them since day one... We just want what you have.. Let's all play by the same rules...

J-

I hope you don't think that AZ hunters would be offended by what NM is doing. I love the opportunities I have had to hunt out of state, and look forward to many more trips - but I would never want my out of state adventure to take a tag opportunity from a family or kid that wants to hunt with their grandpa in whichever state they are in. If the herd size and hunter pool are such that you need to limit the non-res hunters, by all means, limit away.

All New Mexico has to do is follow what Arizona does. Arizona has a great drawing system, and a pretty good way to go about giving resident and non-res permits. I'm really against a percentage of permits being set aside for guided hunts in New Mexico though!

All New Mexico has to do is follow what Arizona does. Arizona has a great drawing system, and a pretty good way to go about giving resident and non-res permits. I'm really against a percentage of permits being set aside for guided hunts in New Mexico though!

I agree. I'm all for resident guides benefitting from their states game, but I think G&F Dept's should give more weight to DIY hunters. In areas like WY, non-residents are required to book an outfitter in wilderness areas. And what you will see out there is the outfitters stake claim to certain areas. I personally think it makes a lot of sense for a non-resi to book an outfitter in WY wilderness area, but I'd like to see G&F Depts try to encourage DIY hunting.

This does nothing to address the HUGE percentage of tags already allocated to landowners, which also subsidize the guides. Can't for the life of me understand the NM system, which allocates a huge number of tags to guides through landowners, then allocates another 10% to guides through the draw.

No on really talks about the duplicity of that subsidy.

So what your saying is theres no flippin way im getting drawn for coues this year since im non-res non-guided! i should have spent my 355+60 on some mega millions tickets! I do agree res should have best chance but non-res guided and unguided should be in the same pool!