Sign in to follow this  
thunderbolt

any luck

This is a lot harder than I thought it would be! I have been educating a lot of coyotes at night and killing only one. I bet that I am only seeing 1 in 5 that are responding and I have had a few that come in to 100 yards hang around a few seconds and are gone. Shotgun only sucks! And it's fricken cold at night.

It may be the way I searched, but I could not find on line (including the AZGFD site) the new rules for hunting predators at night. Specifically, I want to know if there are any units in the White Mountains that are open to coyote and/or lion hunting at night.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

Looks like 2A and 4A are the closest to your white mountain hideaway!

I heard 2A was fun to call but never been there.

Remember March 1st - May 31st and shotgun only and coyotes only!

Night vision allowed

James

Thanks, James.

Drat! Wish 2B were open. It is loaded with coyotes, and its antelope herd is only a fraction of what it could be, IMO.

With gasoline on track to reach $4.00 a gallon soon, 2A and 4A are too far from the cabin. Worse, the season closes just as we're getting settled in up there.

Bill Quimby

missedagain........... it sure is harder than i thought. I talked to a friend of mine who has night hunted at night before back east. He made it sound so easy. He stated how they stayed in the back of the truck and called them in all the time. Im walking about 200 to 300 yards away from the vehicle . What sounds are you using??

1331879461[/url]' post='299102']

And youtube has some clips on night hunting. But they are using rifles. not shotguns

I have been using mostly distress sounds, I can get them to respond to howls but not come in. I am thinking that my scanning light is insufficient, I've got a new one coming from china but the shipping is taking forever. They must be sending it over on row boat or something. If I could use a rifle I would have several more dogs down, I also just need to get faster at transitioning from scanning to on the trigger.