loco4coues

Shooting Balloons

I've been getting my boy Tanner out shooting a lot since the beginning of this year. He put a few hundred rounds through the .22. We then got him behind the .22-250. Now, he is shooting the .270 out to 100 yards. Shooting paper was getting boring so we put up some balloons. I made a quick video, sorry for the shakiness. We are going to work him out to longer distances over the coming weeks. He turns 10 in May. Looks like we didn't get drawn for elk but the deer draw is coming up. He really is doing well and enjoys it.

great video and great shooting we do the same thing then when it gets closer to hunting season we use old softballs from 100 to 300 yards the ball will usually move and it requires the kids to look for it again golf balls with a 22 is good to

Nice video. I love teaching kids to shoot. It is valuable to get them shooting things besides targets. Balloons work well so do left over pumpkins after Halloween.

As they get better at finding things in the scope, switch to rocks. Pick a unique looking rock and talk them into it while you each look through binos. Once they identify the rock, have them move to the gun, find it in the scope, and "take out" the rock. This is good practice for shootin, glassing,, and giving/taking directions while directing them to the target.

You will be amazed how fast things change and soon he will be talking you into a deer he has glassed up. The student will become the teacher...and you will love it. You are very fortunate to have a 10 year old son to do this with. Youth hunts and shooting trips are some of my greatest memories. No youth hunters in our clan anymore, I am now waiting on grand kids.

Treasure your time together whie he is young, it passes so fast. Keep us updated on his progress.