Sign in to follow this  
vincefmx

The Early 3B bull hunts

This was my 1st choice and I didn't get squat...

It is a great unit in my opinion. Saw a very nice herd bull in late Jan, he was still running around watching his cows and bugling which was really odd. It is getting to be more of a challenge with more houses but I guess that is the case in a lot of places.

Your receipt the game and fish emailed you will have your hunt choices, I agree with the others, you must have put it first or second or there was a screw up from game and fish. I'd check out the Woolhouse area if I were you, you can glass, there is some water, and at least you won't have to deal with road hunters in there. Check out the little mountains like sponseller and the one that starts with a J (can't remember the name) fairly close to sponseller.

i drew that same tag in 2010...and guess what it happened again the very next year in 2011. thought the odds of that would be next to impossible but then two of my close buddies (who each one put in on separate tags and one of them also drew back to back years) also drew the same tag. what are the odds of that happening with 75 tags? i can believe 3rd choice. theres something funny about the draw process in which game and fish uses. seems like bonus points, 1st, 2nd, etc. choice doesnt really matter. its about getting lucky. i speak this from experience. because at the end of the day who really knows how the draw process works here?

3rd choice?

Doesn't happen!

it does...the odds are really terrible...but it can happen. Must have put in by himself?

NO, it truly doesn't.... Last year there were 535 applicants in 1st and 2nd choice for 75 tags. Unless this year 455 less people put in for that tag, there were NO 3B rut archery tags left after 1st and second pass. Thus the only way you could have drawn it is if you got your hunt codes mixed around and put it as 2nd choice. You don't have a slim chance, or even a snowballs chance in heck, you have NO chance of drawing that tag on 3rd choice.

Rifle or archery? My buddy has done it unit 1....oh dam i forgot it was a late rifle tag not early hunt

re some good ones out there...gotta find them! Go out and learn the area at least...find water, bedding areas, and oh look for elk :lol: ...good luck

Your receipt the game and fish emailed you will have your hunt choices, I agree with the others, you must have put it first or second or there was a screw up from game and fish. I'd check out the Woolhouse area if I were you, you can glass, there is some water, and at least you won't have to deal with road hunters in there. Check out the little mountains like sponseller and the one that starts with a J (can't remember the name) fairly close to sponseller.

Jacques and Woolhouse, they are walk in areas only and a great place to hunt Elk

• Like 1

It sucks that i am twenty eight years old and have been putting in for eight years now and i have never been drawn for a bull elk rut hunt. Thats the only thing i put in for but dang when is it going to be my turn when u get two rut bull elk tags in a row f me i must be doing something wrong here.

couesdeer,

Be patient, it is easy to get frustrated at not drawing when you see others get multiple tags in a few years. You have enough bonus points now to really be picky on where you want to hunt, waiting a few more years (assuming you are an AZ res) for the most premium hunts will be worth it, trust me. I am sure they are out there, but I have not talked to one person who has waited for the best hunts and regretted it, they all tell me it was worth the wait. If you have waited 8 years, then you should now have at least 9 points, get the hunter ed point (if you don't already have it) and you have 10 entering next year's draw. You can be guaranteed a rut archery tag in multiple units with 10 points,.......choose wisely or continue to be patient

It's a great unit, watch out for private land and keep a look out for chunks of land between private lands, alot of neat places to get away from other hunters out there especially when it requires just a little bit of a walk around private lands.

Overall the unit is pretty easy for working bulls, relatively flat land which means you probably can cover alot of ground each day! The area is typically a little lower in elevation so water will be more scarce than unit 1, try to locate promising water sources in the summer time that will be there in September. Don't be suprised if you don't see many bulls during summer, they often hang up in higher grounds, those bulls will move into 3B when they lose their velvet (lots of bulls move 20-40 miles when the rut kicks into gear).

It sucks that i am twenty eight years old and have been putting in for eight years now and i have never been drawn for a bull elk rut hunt. Thats the only thing i put in for but dang when is it going to be my turn when u get two rut bull elk tags in a row f me i must be doing something wrong here.

I was in your same boat and got my first bull tag at 29...then drew this 3B tag the very next year....it'll happen for ya!

Alot of good information guys, thank you all, very excited to get some scouting in and cover some ground.

3b is an awesome unit. I hunted turkey there in august last year and had lots of shots! (Those stupid birds are tough to kill with a bow) I had my trail camera's up and every time i checked them i had a zoo of animals on it. Anything from deer,turkeys, nice elk, and bears. It will be a good time for sure.

Wow sounds like there is some tag envy going on here. I believe he asked if anyone knew how good the unit was? Sounds like people are hating on the guy for drawing the tag to me. Who cares how he drew the tag! Congrats on the tag man i hope you drop a big one.

Wow sounds like there is some tag envy going on here. I believe he asked if anyone knew how good the unit was? Sounds like people are hating on the guy for drawing the tag to me. Who cares how he drew the tag! Congrats on the tag man i hope you drop a big one.

Thank you! I dont mind, it does seem a little off to draw a third choice on a hunt like this, i wish i could remember or find out of i messed up and actually put this as a second choice.