Sign in to follow this  
Devil Diver Down

6A Archery Bull September hunt

I have been hunting this unit 20 yrs. I've. Had 1 rifle cow and 4 archery bull tags. Last year was the worst for number of hunters. I hunted the north side of the rattlesnake and not many hunters. The stoneman lake road side was full of hunters. Make sure you scout multiple areas last year I was hunting one area mostly and with the week of rain and other hunters I had to change plans the second week. It worked out and I shot a great bull. The bull in my avatar is 6a bull and 345. Devil diver feel free to pm me if you would like help scouting or figuring the area out.

Kirk

Had 6as in 2010. Gonna have to have multiple spots high and low scouted out. Also think we're they might go if the pressure is enough to move em-might not see tons while scouting but who know if an area nearby is gettin hammered. I always OTC deer hunt right before the elk hunt for my final scouting trip for elk. I didnt have any problems with other hunters and only ran into a couple. I chased the biggest bull I've ever chased right between multiple camps 2 days in a row off one of the roads. I was amazed nobody was chasin them but I guess they were hunting elsewhere...

Thanks to everyone for their input! I'm grateful and a little surprised at how much information you all have been willing to share publicly. Almost none of my friends or family hunt (except my kids) and none of them archery hunt, so I don't have many sources of advice. I'm going to put a TON of effort into this hunt, scouting, conditioning, etc. but I really do appreciate the tips you all have given. I feel like it's given me a head start.

And as a bonus, the scouting and hunting will help me put my oldest on a cow during the October junior hunt in the same area :D

I always look at the total tags, bull+cow, if I remember right they cut the archery cow tags back quite a bit. I had the hunt in 08, if had to do it over I and didn't have the full 2 weeks off from work I would hunt opening weekend, get a feel for the pressure from hunters, go home and come back for the 2nd week. 1/4 as many guys toward the end of the hunt.

Just checked 720 total last year 595 bull 125 cow

this is the tag I drew also this year. u can find areas without other hunters. stay off roads!!!! at least half seems to road hunt or hunt close to roads. I also drew late rifle 6a three yrs ago. everybody and their mother was at stoneman then. I couldn't do it. we moved camp to where I knew less people would be. I ended up passing on some smaller bulls, missed a shot on a so so bull on day 6, came home empty handed. I still would do it the same again because I hate tripping over other hunters. I know parts of the unit very well (especially early season). there's many areas other people forget about or overlook and that will be where ill be in September. my husband "guided" the same couple 2010&2011 (lucky people drew early archery tags 2 yrs in a row) was on big bulls almost every day without many other hunters. get out as much as u can. like someone else said it's good to have multiple areas in mind.