Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Cleanup in unit 36

Hi All,

This is a reminder that the cleanup for unit 36 is happening next Sat, March 6. Please try and attend. Show your support of ranchers who are giving us access to hunt. These are ranchers that are near the border and heavily impacted by the illegal immigrant traffic. There is lots of trash to pick up.

I have put in the press release about this event below. Please help out if you can.

Amanda

March 6th, 2004 is the 3rd annual ?Trash pick up Day?. The event will be held in units 36 A, B, & C, at the corner of Hwy 286 and Arivaca road. The event is scheduled to begin at 8:00am, but you are welcome to come the night before and camp out with other Arizona hunters. The trash cleanup will focus on ranches in the unit 36 area that have given hunters access. We will be showing our thanks to the ranchers who open up their land to us, by cleaning up their ranches. This is a great family event. Bring the kids and get them involved in giving back to the sport we love so much. We will begin going to ranches in the morning, then returning to camp for a wild game BBQ at lunchtime (we welcome any wild game meats for the BBQ), and then back into the field in the afternoon. You don?t need to bring anything but yourself. The Arizona G&F department, State Land Department, and the Buenos Aries National Wildlife Refuge are donating all of the trash bags, gloves and related items. Food and drinks will be provided, but feel free to bring your favorite wild game or dish. The Arizona G&F department will have the wildlife officers for the 36 units on hand, as well as the Land Access Coordinator, available for you to ask questions regarding hunting in these units or in Arizona. Come join us for a great day of fun and work. Events like this will help ensure our hunting future in Arizona.

Thanks to all who have helped;

Arizona Deer Association, Arizona Bowhunters Association, Safari Club Tucson Chapter, The members of the Arizona Bowsite, and the Arizona G&F Department.

Any questions, please contact Lance Altherr at (520) 751-8823 or e-mail shedhunter@worldnet.att.net

Just wanted to give you guys a report on the trash pick up in 36C.

I went down and helped out this past Saturday. We met around Arivaca rd and hwy 286 about 8 am. There were also hunters and AGFD people who met at the the Three Points junction. So the photos I shown below don't include them or the trash they picked up. I imagine they picked up quite a lot also.

Most of the trash, though not all, comes from illegal aliens. Lots of empty water bottles, and some backpacks and clothing. Some bicycles, tires, cans, etc.

Anyway, we picked trash until noon and then had a nice cookout of hamburgers and even some bacon-wrapped quail (that was great!). Several organizations helped out with this including, AZGFD, SCI, AZ bowhunters assoc, and the AZ Deer Assoc. Volunteers came from all over, but primarily Tucson.

It was a really good event and it felt good to be able to do something to help out the ranchers and other landowners (much of it is state land) who provide access for hunters.

I hope more of you will consider going next year.

morning-meeting.jpg

denham-picking-trash.jpg

group-photo-arms-out.jpg

girls-hauling-trash.jpg

closeup-on-pile.jpg

I agree that it was a great event. The kids had fun, and helping out the ranchers was awesome. That's my two boys holding the banner. (I don't know who the toe-head is though... :unsure:)

There were so many people there, that I didn't get a chance to personally meet everyone, but it was still a good time. Sorry we didn't get a chance to formally meet each other Amanda, but I'm glad you enjoyed the quail. :D

Anyway, I'll second what Amanda said; Hopefully more folks will turn-up next year. Even though there was a nice big crowd, it would be nice to see an army of volunteers next year!

Good luck all!

S.

:unsure:

There was about eight of us in the morning in three points and we set off just after 8am. There was only one dumpster there but I understand that it also got full! I am sure that eight of us did not fill it up alone. I in fact was only tagging along with a group from Desert Archers I think? It felt GREAT to help out and see some real results, it felt great to know that HUNTERS and people with the love of the outdoors were out in force! I know we all can't go afield with out the bed of the truck being used as a trash can on the way home but seeing dumpesterS (plural) is a good feeling!!!! :D :D :D :unsure:

:unsure:

More D,

I saw about 7 people come in a few different vehicles to the three points area at 7 am. They are probably some of the people that helped you fill that dumpster. I know the game warden there was sending them to some place that was supposed to be absolutely loaded with trash.

Amanda