Sign in to follow this  
lucky2hunt

New Zealand Adventure

Congratulations on some absolutely great animals. New Zealand is one of my favorite places, and not just because of the scenery of the South Island's Southern Alps. Its citizens have to be the friendliest on this planet.

Bill Quimby

Thats fanatastic. You harvested some great animals, and had a great time to boot. I have heard New Zealand has a awesome "Wow factor". I would love to sample the great flyfishing that they have over there.

Snapshot:

I flyfished for a week the streams that feed Lake Taupo on the North Island near Zane Gray's old cabin, and caught the only fish in our group -- a 14-inch rainbow. My guides said I should have been there just a few days earlier. Meanwhile, anglers who trolled the lake with heavy spoons loaded up with fish. Like everywhere, New Zealand's fishing can be great or awful.

Bill Quimby

Snapshot:

I flyfished for a week the streams that feed Lake Taupo on the North Island near Zane Gray's old cabin, and caught the only fish in our group -- a 14-inch rainbow. My guides said I should have been there just a few days earlier. Meanwhile, anglers who trolled the lake with heavy spoons loaded up with fish. Like everywhere, New Zealand's fishing can be great or awful.

Bill Quimby

We had one of the premier fly fishing rivers 40 yards in front of our cabin. We are definitely 'novice' fly fishers, when our guide told us we needed to wear camo to fish we knew we were out of our league. We went down to look for fish, the fish would spot us 30 yards away and bolt! April is the end of the fishing season in that area, the fish have been fished hard thus they are very very clever!

I have read that flyfishing in New Zealand requires a fair amount of stealth and skill. The fish tend to get real spooky, especially the older well educated fish. Sounds like a great challenge! I have even heard about helicopter fishing, where they wil fly you around to different remote spots. Sounds like a blast!

Ilene,

Sounds like you had a great venture. How would you compare hunting the stag vs elk in the rut? How did your hunt strategies compare/differ?

Doug~RR

Ilene,

Sounds like you had a great venture. How would you compare hunting the stag vs elk in the rut? How did your hunt strategies compare/differ?

Doug~RR

Awwwwww, to me nothing compares to hunting elk in the rut, and I mean nothing!

Basically we followed the roars, we didn't do any calling. I thought calling would work because they were all so fired up but my guide said no. The one I shot was coming in to another bull scraping, it made him crazy to think that this guy got close to him. If we saw hinds we would follow them because there would always be a stag close somewhere.

The roaring was incredible, but, and I know I'm biased, nothing like the spine tingling sound of a elk bugle!

Nice job! I'm leaving to new Zealand on the 21st would love to chat with you before I go? I'll pm you my number and if you could please give me a call. Thanks