Sign in to follow this  
oz31p

bowfishing equipment sugestions

im looking to get set up for bowfishing. ive never tried it so i was hoping someone could suggest what reels and rest types are best to use.

We use the Muzzy reals. Look like giant zebco reals. The have all metal pickups and hold up pretty good. We put 200 lb braid on them. Depends on what kind of fish you are shooting I guess. The bucket style real, dont know the name, did not really work for me. After I would shoot the line would keep dumping out of it, and I could not just real big fish in with it. You had to hand line them and then you would have string laying all over the place. I also use the little extension rod off the front of the real seat. If you forget to push the button on the real that little pole causes the arrow to get pulled off the string when you pull the bow back!

Do you pretty much just dedicate a bow specifically for bowfishing???

You don't have to but it makes it nice so you don't have to keep re tuning all your stuff. Everything Becker said is dead on I just do not recommend using the fishing pole attachment you lose some penetration on deeper fish with that. I also only shoot 150# power pro for more penetration the less drag the better. But you can shoot any bow I have a few extra older novas if you are interested I would sell ya one for like 50bucks and then you can put on any acc. You want. I reccomend going to backwaterbowfishing.com the have a great selection of reel seats reels and arrows and points. For my rest I like to keep it simple and I shoot the AMS wave rest its solid and simple. Oh and I also shoot fingers I use to shoot a release but way faster with fingers.

Oh ya and if you have read about snapback..... that will not happen with the power pro or other spectra line we have shot arrows with the string tied off to our bow string with our bows set at 35#s and the 150 and 200# power pro just breaks. Its the lines that have a lot of strech to them that will produce the snapback. So junk those safety slides nothing but another hastle.

As for reels is the spin cast better than the reels with bottle of string ? With out the safety slide where do you attach the line??

As for reels is the spin cast better than the reels with bottle of string ? With out the safety slide where do you attach the line??

Right off to the back of your arrow. Just take the string and double it over then tie a overhand knot which will leave you a loop on the end then put the loop through the 1/8 in hole on the back of the arrow and flip it over the nock end and pull tight then you can change arrows with out cutting your line or if you blow through the fish just undo the string off the arrow and slide the fish off your string. Hopefully you can understand that easier to show someone then to put it in writing

Zebco 808s or 888s work good but the muzzy reel is the best on the market. I have broke probably 15 to 20 808s over the years and only 1 muzzy so far

All great tips and in the end a lot of it will come down to personal preference. The best thing I've found is to go with what's comfortable for you. I used a separate bow for bow fishing years ago but am so comfortable with my PSE hunting bow that I use it now...my son is the same way. I don't drop the poundage but stay at 73#, a bit of an overkill for bowfishing but it also keeps my arm in practice for the hunting season. We shoot the AMS bucket style reels due to the ease of use and low maintenance IMO, but the Zebby's and Muzzy reels are great too, again just personal preference.

I prefer the Cajun Archer Piranha arrow for an out of the box arrow and shoot the Muzzy replacement 150# string with it. I prefer the safety slides because in a quick shooting scenario it makes it easy to ensure your string is hanging out front and won't get hung when you release. I use the same drop away rest as I do with my hunting arrows which also helps for zero drag. Takes me about 15 minutes to switch my setup from hunting to bowfishing and back again.

Hope this helps! Get one setup and join us for the tourney in June!

+1 on the safety slides, while the do help with bounce backs, the original reason was to keep the string out in front of your bow so that you don't get it wrapped around your cable guard, cam, or worse yet your arm. When I first started bowfishing they didn't have these and it was always a goat rodeo trying to make sure it's clear. They first saftey slides were a cable from end to end on the arrow with a swivel that ran then legnth. Then new ones that are plastic without the cable are awesome and easy to use. I prefer a big spin cast reel to the bottle ones as the bottle ones dont have enough friction to reel fish in, also I like the little rod that sticks out of the reel seat as it is sometimes helpful for yanking a missed shot out of the muck or the weeds. I use a separate by just because I don't like the idea of having to switch over all of my gear each time. Also, I shoot fingers as well, it's way faster.

All great tips and in the end a lot of it will come down to personal preference. The best thing I've found is to go with what's comfortable for you. I used a separate bow for bow fishing years ago but am so comfortable with my PSE hunting bow that I use it now...my son is the same way. I don't drop the poundage but stay at 73#, a bit of an overkill for bowfishing but it also keeps my arm in practice for the hunting season. We shoot the AMS bucket style reels due to the ease of use and low maintenance IMO, but the Zebby's and Muzzy reels are great too, again just personal preference.

I prefer the Cajun Archer Piranha arrow for an out of the box arrow and shoot the Muzzy replacement 150# string with it. I prefer the safety slides because in a quick shooting scenario it makes it easy to ensure your string is hanging out front and won't get hung when you release. I use the same drop away rest as I do with my hunting arrows which also helps for zero drag. Takes me about 15 minutes to switch my setup from hunting to bowfishing and back again.

Hope this helps! Get one setup and join us for the tourney in June!

This is very helpfully as I'm justabout to set myself up. I was waifing cause I was unsure but using a my 70lbsbow bow madness. And I wasnt crazy about changing rests but I think ill test a few fishing arrows with my rip cord code red before I get a roller type.

Just hang on to them nice bows when your shootin fish!! About 6 years ago when the barracudas were just coming out, I put one of them on the bottom of roosevelt!! I know a few others that have bows on the bottom too!! I shoot an old pse triton 65lbs with the ams reel, roller rest and tie right into the arrow like Dom(buffhunter)was talking about. Ive shot safety slides forever but switched to tying in after I blew the screw and rubber stop off the back end of a few arrows and reeled in JUST the slide.

Just hang on to them nice bows when your shootin fish!! About 6 years ago when the barracudas were just coming out, I put one of them on the bottom of roosevelt!! I know a few others that have bows on the bottom too!! I shoot an old pse triton 65lbs with the ams reel, roller rest and tie right into the arrow like Dom(buffhunter)was talking about. Ive shot safety slides forever but switched to tying in after I blew the screw and rubber stop off the back end of a few arrows and reeled in JUST the slide.

Lol mabee ill put my wrist sling back on.

Lol mabee ill put my wrist sling back on.

yep I too have a custom 65# barracuda sitting on the bottom of rosie but we won over $1000.00 at the tournament that weekend so it made it a little bit better. LOL