Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Looking for NM Oryx info

I have a buddy coming from Montanna to hunt Oryx on the missle range in NM. I'm just about to start pouring over past threads to see what I can find out, but basically, I'm looking for any kind of basic information about the hunt from those of you that have done it.

What I'm really looking for is the process from checking in at the base, to the actual hunting itself. I have heard it's initially like a race for the first shot, then people kind of split off, but the general tenor is kill fast and get off the base - but that's all second hand.

So I'd love to hear fro anyone who has done the hunt and can describe how it went, and any suggestions you have.

What range did he draw?

I have been on hunts in both Rhodes Canyon and Stallion Range several times in the past few years. There are still plenty of oryx but it is not nearly as easy of a hunt as it was 15-20 years ago. The oryx have been hunted a lot more intensely and you have to be sneaky because they are quite skittish. Checking in to the base is easy, just make sure to get there on time. No need to get there too early because they check everyone in and then you just have to wait around for the security briefing. After the briefing is over there are a few idiots that always run to their trucks and peel out of the parking lot. It is actually quite comical watching those fat boys run to their pickups. Other than the Small missile range the hunt areas are huge and there is no need to be in a race to get out of the parking lot.

Hunting is similar to a lot of antelope hunts. Stop at the high points and get out the binoculars and spotting scopes and take a look. Once you find something that looks good make a stalk through the creosote and mesquite. Good, high power glass is definitely an advantage.

I drew the August Rhodes Canyon hunt two years ago. I was a blast. They are very skittish, but you will see a lot of them.

As noted, binos and scopes really help. Figure on a 300+ yard shot in most cases.

The meat is by far the most excellent tablefare around. They make a great trophy, too.

The guy that was running the hunt at the time was very helpful. His name was Gilbert. You will get a lot of information from him if it was like it was two years ago.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. He drew Rhodes Canyon- Feb 22nd-24th. He killed an Oryx in Africa a few years back and echoed what quailchaser said - it was the best eating animal he's ever taken, and he's taken lots. :D

Hey Sundevil, sorry we kept missing eachother. I'll try to call again tomorrow.