Sign in to follow this  
tgaab

Outboard Trouble

Three weeks ago I bought my first boat, 14ft Alumacraft with a 1974 Mercury 9.8hp 2 stroke. Took the boat out 4 times with no issues, motor ran great. This morning I went out to Saguaro and putted around for 4-5 hours no problem. On the way back to the ramp, throttle wide open, all of a sudden the engine revved like crazy and stopped propelling. Killed it and took the cover off to have a look (for what I'm not sure since I know nothing about outboards). Didn't notice anything funny. Gave it a pull and it started first pull. Put it in gear and gave a little gas and with the throttle barely open, the RPMs were through the roof and the boat barely moved. I've done a little research and it sounds like a possible spun prop? I was in the middle of the lake when it happened so I didn't hit any rocks and didn't notice any debris in the water.

Any thoughts or ideas what it could be? I'm hoping it's not too expensive as I'm on a limited college student budget - hence I bought an older boat to begin with lol... maybe that was my first mistake! Called a couple service shops today and both said they won't work on a motor that old. I live in Chandler, anyone know of any good shops I could have take a look at it? Thanks for any help!

post-5785-0-98022200-1337145242.jpg

Some props have a shear key that will break if the prop hits something hard. This is to save the lower end of the motor from damage. Could have been damaged prior to you getting the boat. Can you turn the prop by hand with the motor off and in gear? Does it do the same thing in forward and reverse? You can pull the prop and inspect it. I can recommend a good boat mechanic if you need it.

I am able to spin the prop when I put it in gear with the motor off, although it makes a clicking noise... not sure if that's normal or not. And yes, it did the same thing in forward and reverse today while it was running. I will have pull the prop off tomorrow morning and have a look. Thanks for the response!

I've been down that road before. Sounds like you spun your prop. Not a big dea! Call a good boat shop and they will fix you up. :)

TJ

100 percent you spun your prop!! Happen to us the day before our last tourney.. go to a boat shop get a new one and you'll be good to go!!

If you are up in PHX go to props plus I'm down in tucson and send all my props to them good guys and do great work. I spun a hub last year they had it done in a couple days

Take the prop to Hubs Plus and get it rebuilt (It should cost about $40 which is way better then $130 for a new one) . I don't beleive that motor has a shear pin. There is a rubber bushing in the prop that spins. if the prop is spun which it sounds like, put it in reverse (motor off) and spin the prop both ways the shaft will stop moving in one derection or the other and you shoud be able to see the prop spin on the bushing. If you need help shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the help everyone I appreciate it! Leaving for WI tomorrow for 10 days so I will take it in when I come back. And hopefully will have a few pics of some WI bass to post :D

Thanks again!

Hi everyone,

Got home last night and took the prop off today. Something is definitely not right. Looks like a bunch of coffee grounds in the prop. The hub is completely shredded. Is this normal for a simple spun prop or is mine just that dried out and old? Plan on taking it in this week. Would it be necessary to take the whole motor in or just the prop?

post-5785-0-33391700-1338342438.jpg

post-5785-0-45369300-1338342447.jpg

Yep just the hub old and rotten is what I would say just make sure you get all that stuff cleaned out of there or could mess up one of your seals