Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Deer opener = Dove opener

After setting up some cams over the last few weeks on desert water holes, I realized that the dove opener and the archery deer opener are on the same day, Sept. 1st.

I finally realized this while seeing all the shot gun hulls around the water tanks. Should make for some interesting confrontations.

BTW, dove = flying liver, YUCK!

You don't like dove? We batter then up in a beer batter, then fry them and I think they are great. Not something I could eat everyday, but still good. Maybe you should add one of those snarrows to your quiver just in case. :)

Flying liver is the best description I've ever heard for doves and band-tailed pigeons. I could eat my substantial weight in quail, but can't stand anything that has a taste resembling liver in the slightest way -- no matter how it is prepared. The smell and taste of liver are repugnant to me. I can't even go into a house where it's being cooked without gagging.

I get a kick out of people who like that gosh-awful taste. They're always trying to get me to eat what they've cooked. Every time one of them says "you haven't eaten MY liver," I always say "you better hope I don't."

BillQ

I'll bet Hannable Lector would like to eat Ted Kennedy's liver. It's been marinating in 100 proof for 40 years.

Does liver really taste like dove? I like dove every now and then, but can't stand liver one bit. I think it's all in my head, but like you said, liver makes me gag. :)

Desert Bull, even Hannibal Lectur and starving cannibal pygmys would say no way to Ted's fermented liver, -- tastes like bad politics and isopropyl alcohol bleecchhh!

I'm not much of a gut eater, but I do like dove and don't equate it to flying liver at all and quail is just great !!

The longer dove go without being cleaned affects the taste, a lot of guys shoot all morning and then clean the birds and if you do that the more gamey it will taste. Freeze them in beer and salt or marinate with italian dressing overnight and it will change the taste, but if you like them the way they are just season flour and fry or barbecue.

OK, we have established our culinary tastes. Does anyone else think that opening the archery deer and dove season on the same day stinks?

I just know I am going to spend all summer scouting out the water only to find a bunch of scattergunners shootin the place up on opening day.

At least they have to quit shooting by noon and maybe the deer will come into water after they leave or in the evening.

I don't want to get into another "Game and Fish s?cks" conversation, but what was the reasoning for moving the archery deer season back?

In September, I'd RATHER be sitting at a water hole with my scattergun and my pooches than sitting in some sweltering heck hole of a blind waiting for some scrawny, thirsty coues buck to come in.. I'll wait till it cools off before I start thinking deer hunting.. :) Sept is dove hunting, not deer hunting!!

I think they are establishing the dove season dates at the next commission meeting, I will check, but we have something else to bring up.

Well yeah that does stink that while we are sitting in blinds, there will be guys out there shooting dove out of the trees. That does bother me a bit. Although, if you find a nice spot for deer you can hunt the early morning, then around nine or so hop in the truck and drive up the road a few miles and hunt dove for a couple hours. Then it will be nap time, and back to the water hole for the afternoon hunt. It would a little hectic, but it just might work!