COOSEFAN

San Carlos: November hunt

I guess, i don't know much about it, but the Rez won't allow guys to have BOTH the November AND the January tags at the same time, yet I know guys that have done it for years? My buddy has to return one of his tags, the Nov. tag, and I think I'm going to try and buy it. I don't know yet if it will be possible, but that would mean there's one tag left if he takes his back, right? Anyways, I know how my buddies hunts have gone, but I was curious how others have done on the Nov. hunt there. My favorite unit has always been unit B and I know a little about unit C, but I have never been there in Nov. Any ideas? Is it worth the price? Has anybody bought the two tags and had them call you 6 months later wanting one back? Here's a pic of my buddies last Nov. Rez buck. Thanks, JIM.

waitman4.jpg

Jim, I've hunted the res a few times. You are right they use to let you do both hunt's.There was such a big demand for tags that a few guys complained that other guys were getting two deer per year. But was does it matter to the res they are selling them first come first served so they make their money no matter what. It was about 2002-2003 they said you could only harvest was animal per calender year.

Did your buddy kill a deer this past Jan. Do you mind me asking how much their getting for the Nov tags now.

You will be able to purchase the tag that your buddy returns. You just have to be the first one to call. As for the november hunt I have never hunted it before but I know a lot of people that have and I would say its just like hunting state land in November. The quality bucks are there they just don't move like they do in December and January.

not to hijack the thread but does any one have any info on C? I have the January hunt and it will be my first poke at it on the rez. Good luck to all with tags on the rez!

My friend and I had the opportunity to hunt unit 'B' last November. It was our first time hunting The San Carlos and we really enjoyed everything about our hunt.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/san_carlos_h...an_carlos_7.htm

This year I will be hunting unit 'C' in January, which I am looking forward to.

If I can be of assistance with my limited knowledge of unit 'B', please let me know.

Jim, I've hunted the res a few times. You are right they use to let you do both hunt's.There was such a big demand for tags that a few guys complained that other guys were getting two deer per year. But was does it matter to the res they are selling them first come first served so they make their money no matter what. It was about 2002-2003 they said you could only harvest was animal per calender year.

Did your buddy kill a deer this past Jan. Do you mind me asking how much their getting for the Nov tags now.

They are getting $1,000.00 for the Nov. tags and are good for A,B, and C. No he didn't kill in Jan. I know they sold 2 tags to other guys also, they must have just recently changed a rule or something because I don't understand why they would sell 2 tags to one hunter if you can't have 2 tags?! Then again, we have bought alot of Bear tags over the years, and they almost always mess something up and most employees in the office aren't up to date on the rules & reg's, and THEY work there! One year we bought all 10 bear tags for unit B and still ran into other hunters with unit B bear tags?!!! Never got an explanation for that one! You always have to double check everything you receive from them and always write down names of individuals that tell you what you can do and can't do. I personally don't mind the 1 tag a year deal, it does give guys a better chance if they don't happen to be in the front of the line! Regardless of all that, I still love the place and have always wanted to hunt Coues there, hopefully I can grab that tag first! Thanks, JIM

I did email them my questions on the issue, I'll post what they reply back.

Jim, there is a regular on here Apache7mm that would probably help you out any way he can with info etc. Real good guy but he hasnt been on for a bit so I will call him and see whats up..........Allen..............

I will be hunting R100 in January. Last year I saw a buck that would go 105" in C. He was 250 yards to the west of the R100 boundary in unit C. I would hunt the rim west of R100. Drive the road on the bottom and glass up the rim. Those cuts are full of coues. The area to the east of R100 is very good as well but I have not hunted it much.

Well I'm not getting that Nov. tag after all :( My buddy called and talked to the director of the Res G+F and was told he could keep the Nov. tag AND his January 07 tag!? Oh well, it was exciting thinking I MIGHT get a chance at it at least! The director guy at first didn't even know what the rules were about it and had to call him back later, which he did today and told him to just keep it! I had emailed the Res my questions on this subject and 6 days later.......no response? It's frustrating but, oh well, what can WE do about it? :D Thanks anyways for the info! JIM.