Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

what do i do wrong?

so I'm not a real shed finder meaning its not my only purpose when I'm out and about, but I can't quite understand why I can't find any by accident at least. I spend lots of time hiking in the desert and pines, but only once in my life have I found a shed.

I know I'm mostly looking up for critters when I'm walking so I'm sure that's some of it but I also spend plenty of time looking for sign and of course looking where my feet are going.

there must be a real science to finding sheds or I'm just unlucky!

I too had the same problem till this year I think alot people glass for the sheds and alot of it is luck when walking I found that when I take it slow on I hike and take my time I will notice alot of things I would have just walked by one day it will happen and you will start finding the more often

There's definately a tactic to finding sheds that I haven't figured out. Whenever I go looking for sheds, I find nothing - maybe an old spike that looks like a broken tree branch with stuff growing on it.

I've got a salt lick that I checked this Spring and found 3 brown sheds within 20 yards of eachother. All small, but the best I've ever picked up. I know another guy who hunts sheds really hard and picked up something like $2000 worth in one day, but this guy hikes his butt off. Sometimes he even badgers his friends with pilot's licences to fly around and see where the bulls are about the time they are dropping.

A few years back I was coues hunting the San Carlos, and we were glassing a canyon and found enough sheds to fill the back of a truck - just in one canyon, and some were old. Of course we couldn't pick any up, but I always think about how certain canyons just seem to "the place" at the right time. The guys and gals who do this a lot have lots of these places on their list of shed hunting sources.

It's all about time in the field - and covering lots of country - coming from someone who can't find sheds to save his life, lol.

the best thing to do is put miles on your boots and slow down and look hard that's what worked for me this year in finding about 1800 dollars in antlers

I am sure someone can answer better than me but here goes. You need to find where the animal is when it sheds its antlers, elevation/area at that time of year. You have to hike your butt off and then hike a little more. And you have to go where someone else hasn't already gone and picked them up. There are a lot of people in the hills who shed hunt or just hunt so its tough to go where you aren't following someone. I have found a few so by no means am I an expert just my opinion! Hope this helps a little.

There is some science involved, and a whole lot of walking. I just started doing this in feb., and have done OK. I wish I could say there is a certain terrain they like, or elevation level. All of my " honey spots" have been in completely different terrain and elevation as the last batch I found. I walk a lot and always highlight my map where I find 2 or more. I put 8 miles in today and all I found was a OLD Muley shed. If you really get technical you can pin point a good starting point at least. Its all been trial and error for me. Good luck :)

Yes as mentioned before its all about going where they shed them. We I go out with my cousin's they are going for elk shed and they find them in the winter grounds and transitional grounds where the elk are moving back up.

Some of these guys even have dogs they have trained to pick up the scent of shed or the bone and these hounds just find them all day long.

In my experience with coues they shed them in same places they hang out in the spring/summer. I have even had some hang onto their antlers until april. (Seen it on my trail camera's) Although IMO the larger/mature bucks shed them faster than the younger ones. Like everyone else though it involves a lot of walking and focus on finding them to see em'. Mice and other rodents usually eat em' up pretty quick.

Location, location, location......and time..............good luck out there..............

+10 on timing. Especially if you are looking in popular spots. In some places you got to catch the Horns before they hit the dirt or someone else will beat you to um.