Sign in to follow this  
gregaz

Texas hog hunt

A group of friends were thinking about a Texas hog hunting trip. Does anyone recommend any ranches or outfitters. I would prefer the western part but will drive further I have to. Thanks

Guest akaspecials

It's quite a drive, but east Texas (all around Tyler) is full of hogs and they are considered pests there. I usually put an ad up on craigslist saying I'm in from out of town and want to help with some hog depredation and explain the situation. (If you're depredation hunting you don't need a license). I've had multiple land owners give me to the keys to their places with the only rules being shoot every hog on sight and don't mess with their cattle. So if you don't want to deal with expensive trespass fees, guide fees, trophy fees, and licenses it's a good option.

The only downside to hunting like this is sometimes you spend a day or two scouting because hogs are very mobile. (I had one trip where they stayed on the neighboring property the entire week.) Also, you will probably not be hunting over feeders like most ranches and outfitters will have you do, so if you don't get on them, you may be SOL. I'm normally working when I'm down there and only have the last few hours of the day to hunt, but I typically see 75+ hogs in 2 hours. Filling the freezer is cake with hogs.

I know that wasn't the answer you're looking for, but it may be a good option if you want to save some money.

I usually put an ad up on craigslist saying I'm in from out of town and want to help with some hog depredation and explain the situation.

Great Info

checkout Boazmans archery hunts. tons of hogs!

We are going to try to book a hunt here. Any information or tips I need to know before going ?

I looked up the Boazman's ranch. Is It really a 20 acre high fence or do they have wild hogs too? Since Tejon Ranch in California stopped offering hunts, we've been looking for another place.