CHD

Rattlesnakes in Coues Country

This may seem like a silly question to ask on this forum, but I don't care. Since I am a Grade A, First Class Rattlesnake Magnet (and a resulting rattlesnake phobic, LOL), I wanna know.

Are buzztails still out during the October and November Coues deer seasons in Arizona?

Chris

Edited by CHD

I came across a Blacktail on Mount Fagan during a December Hunt. It kind of blew me away, but he didn't move very fast because it was some what cold out, but it was sunny B) . I got him for a hatband on an old straw hat up in my closet.

I once accidentally picked up a small live rattlesnake in the Chiricahuas on a Nov hunt. It was an especially warm hunt, we were in tshirts hiking even before the sun came up. Anyway, there was this small snake, maybe 5-6 inches long on the trail. I didn't recognize the pattern and didn't see a rattle on it. It seemed like it was pretty dead since it wasn't moving. So, thinking it was a harmless snake even if it was alive, I picked it up so I could identify it. (That is what us biologists do...we have to identify everything!)

Luckily, I picked it up by holding it behind the head in case it wanted to bite. While I was checking out the pattern on the snake trying to identify it, I noticed a tiny little nub of a rattle on the end of it's tail. And then I noticed that it was indeed alive. So then it dawned on me that I was holding a live rattlesnake in my hand and I wondered how the heck I was gonna put it down without it biting me. But I managed to set it down and back away as it slithered off the trail. WHEW!!! It was a rather tense moment. But it was fun and I got to see a new species for me, the banded rock rattlesnake. When I told this story once to a rattlesnake biologist, he said I was very lucky since they are aggressive and dangerous.

So, long story short, yes the rattlers can be out in Oct and November deer season.

Amanda

Chris,

I'm a toxicologist at a local(Tucson) hospital and have lectured on "venomous creatures of arizona". Rattlesnakes are my favorite reptiles and can give this bit of information. Peak activiy is between July, August and Sept., not surprisingly due to our "monsoon" pattern. These snakes can remain active from about April to October/November. I have heard of bites occuring as early as Feb, but this is extremely rare. Any "activity" in the cold months is incidental and probably just a snake sunning itself as compared to actively moving. I read Amanda's story and was absolutely amazed she walked away unharmed, lucky thing it was a cold snake; leave it to a biologist to give such a great story. Wow! made me cringe at thought of what could have happened. Anyway I concur with Amanda that we should be aware that reptiles are active during this time, so watch where you place your hands, sit down and step, esp. in rocky warm areas....

Edited by crotalus

I think that my brother and I have walked on top of about 4 snakes that were trying to get to the sun to thaw out. They just set there coiled up and they don't even rattle when they are cold because they are so dosile.they have been in the november hunt. I know it has more to do with how much rain we are getting at the time to. It is the same with gila monsters I have seen about 10 gila monsters and they have all been after a good rain.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

My buddy and I were out last Saturday and saw a couple gopher snakes. Spring has come quick and the snakes are now out of hibernation. We found these snakes early in the morning so they were very lethargic and could not move very fast. They were not quite thawed out.

I have had many experiences with rattlesnakes. I used to catch them to feed them to my kingsnakes that I bred. In all the time that I have been out in the desert I have never had any really close calls. I have stepped right next to several rattlers and jumped away with them not striking. I think for the most part they are relatively harmless. That is not saying we should not be extremely cautious.

They say the smaller ones are more dangerous, they don't know when to stop injecting venom.

They also say that rattlesnakes can choose wheather or not to inject venom or just give a warning bite. Weather this is true or not I'm not 100% sure.

They call it a dry bite, and they do not inject it ever time. I have also heard in the morning is the worst . They build it up over night and will inject more in the morning.

Guest Ernesto C

CHD,this past october I was "born again" after steping on a rattlesnake,I was walking on knee high grass when I step on this ugly reptile when it struck my pants,my pants were bagy or loose stile that's why I believe I did not get bit.

One hour later I almost step on another one!!! This time the rattlersnake (it appear it to me) start using the rattler like leting me know she was there,only 3 feet away!!

The following morning it happen again !!??!! what the ..... what is it whit this rattlersnakes all over the place?? I was walking,looking at the mountain to my left (I wasn't looking where I was walking) when suddenly ZZzzZzz again only 3 feet away from my but slowly she started to move away.

Lord thank you for saving my life again... and again and again.

Ernesto C.

Every few years I get close to stepping on a rattleworm. This happened one November while searching out a whitetail spot in 6A. This really goofs me up - for days! I quit looking for deer while I'm walking and only look for snakes. It takes a buch of rationalization to convince myself that it's a "once every few years" kind of a thing. From what I've heard, getting bit is nasty and expensive, can leave permenant damage or death.

One buddy of mine was crawling up on an anteope in 21 when he realized that his face was in striking distance of a big diamondback. Had a stand off for over an hour before the snake gave him a break. My friend crawled off the other way to safety and threw up. Got a lot of snake stories. I'm sure a lot of us ('specially Arizona boys) do. Ain't life grand?

Ernesto, your story takes the cake. I'm glad that you know where the ultimate protection is!

Mike

Nasty little buggers. If you want to hear something funny, I have a habit of lifting my legs off the floorboard of my truck when I drive by one on the highway. That's how freaked out I am about snakes. I've never seen one in Oct. or Nov., but during the Aug.-Sept. archery season they seem to be everywhere. Closest call I had was a predawn walk when I nearly stepped on one, lucky for me he had a mouse in his mouth. Lucky me.

Brian

Guest Ernesto C

I can't remember at this moment how many species of rattlersnakes are in the world, there are about 15 or 16 different species of rattlers but one thing I know for sure,13 of those species live here in Arizona so I guess you can call Az, rattlersnake country.

I always see them while fishing,the only time I saw them while hunting was this past october.

Ernesto C.

Here are some photos of some rattlers. One taken by a friend and the other by me. Both were taken during field work for different projects.

The first one is a Mojave rattlesnake which are common in SE AZ, especially in Sulphur Springs Valley where I was working at the time. Almost put my hand on one of these as I went to pick up my GPS unit which I had already unknowingly set down a few inches from a full grown mojave. Luckily he was pretty cold and he didn't even move. That was really creepy.

mojave-web.jpg

This next photo is of an AZ black rattlesnake which is generally found in Pine country. This one I almost stepped on because I was looking in the trees for some owls we were conducting surveys for. This one was very hot and rattled like crazy. Thank God he did or I definitely would have stepped very close if not on it.

rattler-top-view-2a.jpg

Good thing these snakes usually rattle to warn me. I have had tons of close encounters, as I am sure many of you have. Nothing as dramatic as the one that Rembrant told about his friend being face to face with one while antelope hunting!

Amanda

Thanks for the info everyone. Sure didn't expect this much discussion.

Yep, I have a magical power that allows me to produce a rattler just exactly where I'm afraid there is going to be one, LOL. Sounds like some of you might have the same ability?

I keep a pair of snake-proof gaiters in my truck. I think I bought them from Cabela's. They are made of stiff cordura and are knee high. I haven't worn them in years, and have never worn them while hunting. I occasionally use them while hiking and scouting in snakey-looking areas in the summer. They sure can give you peace of mind and allow you to focus on deer or whatever it is you're hunting.

Many years ago, my grandpa worked clearing salt cedar along the Rio Grande in southern New Mexico. He told me the diamondbacks were so thick that he actually fashioned some leggings out of stove pipe.

One summer I did field work outdoors in Montana. The prairie rattlers in this particular area were just thick. After a few weeks of very close encounters (and doing the snake dance, LOL!), I was pretty rattled (no pun intended) and neurotic. One morning, I climbed up onto a large rock that was just up off a hayfield. As I got on top of the rock, I looked down into a crevice on the other side and it was full of rattlers. It was a den, and there must have been 40 or 50 of them there. It was kind of creepy. What if I had slipped and fallen into that crevice?

Chris

Edited by CHD