Sign in to follow this  
AntlerObsession

Telephoto Lens Options

I purchased a Canon T2i last year as well as a 55mm-250mm lens for wildlife photography. It has been an amazing improvement in the quality of photos I can take, and has really helped me more consistently record my experiences in the wilderness. However, there have been times where I didn't feel like the lens I have gets me as close as I want to be.

I have been researching online, and it seems that Canon produces a telephoto zoom lens I might be interested in: EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. Will this be enough zoom to satisfy me on a subject 600 yds away? How much closer will this put me than my current lens? Do they make a zoom lens that will get closer than a 400mm lens? Or do I would I be better satisfied with a fixed telephoto lens, like the EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM? Is this the direction I would want to go because of the increased light-gathering capacity?

I know there are aftermarket lenses, like Sigma, but I'm not sure if I would be satisfied with the clarity.

Any personal experience with these lenses would be appreciated!

I have a Canon rebel xti with the 100-400mm lens. I think it is a great way to go instead of a cheaper lens like sigma. I have never tried the 400mm but I dont like that you can't zoom back if needed you are stuck at 400, I think! As far as shooting something at 600 yds I don't think there is a lens that could really take good pics unless you spend $20,000 or so and I still dont think it would be what you wanted and you wouldn't want to carry it anywhere because of the size. If my subject is within 100 yards I can get some great pics, if it is 100-200 yards it is ok and past 200 yards you can see the animal but the quality is lacking. Maybe we could go out and you could put my 100-400 lense on your camera and see what you think! Hope this helps.

Pixman

Digiscope is the way to go if you want good 600 yd pics. I have a canon eos 6 and a few differet lenses but nothing will get you close at 600 yds other than digiscoping with a good spotter.

Don't worry about third party lens clarity. They have come a long ways since they first came on the market. As a professional photographer I have the sharpest lens I can find for the need at hand. In my bag are Nikons, a 12-24 Sigma, and a 17 55 Tokina. The Sigma and Tokina are there because the are every bit as sharp, or sharper, than the Nikon counterpart. In the case of the 12mm it also has less distortion. They are also build very well.

Digiscope is the way to go if you want good 600 yd pics. I have a canon eos 6 and a few differet lenses but nothing will get you close at 600 yds other than digiscoping with a good spotter.

I have never been impressed with digiscoped photos. I have digiscoped with a Swaro 20-60x80 and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Sure, they get you close, but the distortion, to me, is unbearable. I don't think they compare even to my 55mm-250mm, though I do have to zoom in digitally.

Pixman,

I appreciate your offer to let me look through your lens, and I do agree that a fixed lens would seem to limit one's options. I guess what I need to decide is if the difference between my 55-250 and the 100-400 is enough to throw down $1,600.

600 yards will be too far, better to be within 100. You would find the 100-400 more versatile in close range within 50 yards, but the prime should be sharper at 400. You may be able to add a 1.4TC to the lens and still have the camera autofocus.

The 100-400 is about $1600

The 400 f/5.6 is about $1340, but has no IS for handhold or monopod work.(not that one would want to handhold a 400 anyway)

The 400 f/4 is about $6500

According to Photozone tests, the 400f/5,6 and 100-400 are equal in center sharpness at 400mm

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/609-canon100400f4556ff?start=1

I have a Canon rebel xti with the 100-400mm lens. I think it is a great way to go instead of a cheaper lens like sigma. I have never tried the 400mm but I dont like that you can't zoom back if needed you are stuck at 400, I think! As far as shooting something at 600 yds I don't think there is a lens that could really take good pics unless you spend $20,000 or so and I still dont think it would be what you wanted and you wouldn't want to carry it anywhere because of the size. If my subject is within 100 yards I can get some great pics, if it is 100-200 yards it is ok and past 200 yards you can see the animal but the quality is lacking. Maybe we could go out and you could put my 100-400 lense on your camera and see what you think! Hope this helps.

Pixman

I got a rebel as well where did you get your lens at and how much.

Dont discount digiscoping. Check out tinesup.com. They sell a sweet adapter to hold you camera to the scope. Obviously you have to focus the scope to the camera, but also put the camera on timer mode so that the setup is completely still when the camera goes off. Just a thought for those long shots.

Pixman

I got a rebel as well where did you get your lens at and how much.

If I remember correctly it was on-line at Adorama and it was $1,200. You can buy a cheaper lens like a Sigma but I felt it was worth the extra money to have the Canon lens with the image stabelizer built in.