SilentButDeadly

My sickness

Long story short: I never hunted until January of this year when my future father-in-law took me mule deer hunting with him. Since then I've become an addict of hiking up steep hills to glass from, and in the last two months - shed hunting.

Recently I've come to accept that I suffer from a 'sickness' which wakes me at 5 am every other morning and a half hour later find myself in the middle of a hillside walking from palo verde to mesquite to palo verde looking for deer sign. What is wrong with me!?

My future wife has accused me of several things: 1.) driving erratically when we are on the way to her parents (who live in prime desert muley country), 2.) abandoning her on Saturday and Sunday mornings to go hiking w/ the dog (that is my cover story for going shed hunting). . and 3.) spending an excessive amount of time watching hunting programs, looking at websites about hunting (she is at work right now - that's how i can get away with this post), and scouring over Google Earth looking for potential coue's habitat.

A few weeks ago I overheard her little sister apologizing to her as I came back in from shooting my bow saying "I'm so sorry, I didn't know that you were marrying our dad."

The backstory on that is her father is also a freak - he is a devoted bow hunter and has bagged every big game animal in Arizona (including spot and stalk mt. lion and desert bighorn - solo). His children grew up around it and have mostly shunned hunting. I grew up in a house of fishermen, and now find myself addicted to hunting.

I would guess that not every beginning hunter gets a pair of 15x60 zeiss binos given to him, or has a grandmaster bowhunter on call to answer any questions whenever the situation arises.

Anyway, I am looking for some way to moderate myself, satiate my addiction, and keep my future wife happy. Surely, almost every man who reads this post can relate to my dilemma.

You could start your rehab by sending me those 15X60 Zeiss Bino's. :unsure:

--Bill

Well you have the same sickness we all do......welcome to the crowd....I think we are an elite group of sick people. Especially this time of year. I think we have 7 days (hopefully less) until the draw results are out. My only recommendation would be to save some of you and your wifes money and buy you some Swarovski or Leica Binos. Your wife should love that. Tell her you need it to help with your sickness......it's making you blind and you need some extra high quality binoculars to be able to see anymore. :unsure:

Neo

Dude, sounds like you got the ''FEVER" man. You sound like a fairly young guy at that. I admire the fact that you actually know that you are a sicko! Thats half the battle right there Neo. Hunting is without a doubt very addicting. I have been married for 30 years now and my wife still can`t understand some of the stupid things that I say and do! I really lucked out though because my wife grew up in a hunting family and she loves to go out hunting and camping. If you find out what your "soon to be'' likes and you put forth some of your enthusiasum towards that you may just have a chance. If she is not worth the effort to try and make her feel included or part of your future life than it may be time to re think the big event.Hunting alone is not near as much fun as with friends or loved ones, believe me I know. Hang in there bud, I know you can find a way to make it all work. Good luck Coues Addict

P.S. Whats in a name, anyhoo?

you are in the right spot, my friend! we all have the sickness, i am about the youngest one here and have had it bad for about 11 years! i, grew up like you, my dad is a die hard fisherman and was into hunting but not very good at it, when i showed a major interest, we started to get serious. i basically had Zeiss binos given to me ( bought them in 100% condition for $800) and i grew up being best friends with a kid whos parents are both world champion archers. might have heard of them, the Ragsdales, shoot for PSE. however, i am into rifle hunting not really archery. but i have the sick ness just like you and theres nothing i like better than taking my doberman pincher/ austrilian shepard mut out on hikes into elk country! welcome to the club, and trust me, we all have it!

I have the same "sickness" coues and lions is just about all my brain can think about anymore :unsure:

I was "lucky" since I was already "sick" when I met my wife and she knew that the sickness was part of the package. After 12 years, I think she is finally accepting the fact that it isn't going to go away and she actually suggested to me that I should try to go on some hunts out of state. Needless, to say I almost fainted with disbelief. When I found out I got drawn for my Wyoming antelope hunt, she wasn't thrilled since she figured great, "there goes another $300-$400 for taxidermy". Just make sure you make time for her and the family and take an interest in her interests.

Neo, I'm just jealous as heck that YOU can wake up at 5:00 am and be in coues country 30 mins. later!!!!!!!!! :P

That would be AWESOME! I was bitten by the "hunting bug" the day I learned to walk, and have been sick for around 29 years now. I remember dying for the day I got my drivers license, not to go out partying, but to finally go hunting on my own, in places extending farther than the reach of my bicycle! I have even gotten so sick with this addiction over the past several years, that I quit my job for 6 months at a time just to find the cure! I knew my wife for several years before we started dating and dated for 5 years before we got married, so she knew very well what she was getting into! Like has been said before, try to spend as much time as possible with her, doing things that she is interested in, and hopefully it creates some sort of balance, for her at least! I just got real lucky and married a girl who puts up with, and actually admires, my passion (sickness) for the sport we love. My wife actually got into hunting, mainly to be able to see me for more than a day during the fall/winter, and we've shared some great experiences. Best of luck to you, and let us know if you find a cure! JIM>

This was her first Elk. Last day and 5 mins. after she had just let a beautiful 300"class bull walk by (the gun wouldn't fire........the safety really does work!) This "T.J." (tender and juicy) bull stepped out and the safety was OFF this time!

scan0046.jpg

Its pretty safe to assume everyone on here has the sickness. I got it a long time ago from my grandfather. It has gotten steadily worse. I now have couseitis of the brain according to my wife. A day can't go by without dreaming about, thinking about, reading about past and future coues hunts. It occupies my thoughts constantly. I too use google earth to look for good spots . This website is my fix and I am on here almost everyday. Welcome to the club.

Keven

Here's a google earth pic of where a super wide forkhorn liked to hang around.

widebuck30B.jpg

Neo, the first thing you need to do is to get married before you lose her. Then you need to have a Coues buck mounted and put in your bedroom so you can look at it every day...that helps a lot.

15 years with my wife, the key. spend personal time in the off season to her wants.make her feel just as important, no more important and life will be good. happy wife, happy life.

I always tell my wife that I could be at the bar or chasing women around but I am not. I am out in the boondocks hunting, sometimes no matter how hard I try to spin it, it just doesn't work. All kidding aside you need a good woman at home to have good hunting and a good home life.

happy wife, happy life.

Thats not always the case. My wife hates me being out in the hills all the time, and she cant hardly stand it when I'am at home :P Go figure