Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Rifle Build 7mm WSM (updated completed with pics)

I'm starting a rifle build on a Remingtion 700 Short Action. Looking for a Mag system that will accommodate the 7 mm WSM. I just bought the RWS bottom metal ($135 built very well) thinking the Accuracy International or Bader Ordnance would have a 5 round mag. Looks like AI has a 10 round mag for the WSM but not a 5 round mag. I spent about 20 mins on hold with Badger Ordnance on Thursday then got hung up on, most likely on accident. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

Found My rifle at AJI sporting goods in Apache Junction, 7mm 08 SPS for $360 out the door. The rifle was like new, used but in great shape. Jeff has greeat deals down there, and if you hunt and pay cash he will give you a discount.

I have my Hart barrel on order. 1:8 twist Should be here in in about a month, I ordered it a few months back.

post-2686-0-48396100-1342885320.jpg

My RWS bottom metal

http://www.rwsgunsmi...g-bottom-metal/

post-2686-0-38301000-1342886042.png

If anyone is looking for a great lightweight stock go with this stock, its priced very well. Alaskan 700 BDL Ti Model

http://www.stockysst...ldermess/Detail

post-2686-0-81250300-1342886204.png

Anyways just a few things that I have started with and sharing some info where I bought my items for a good price. Always good to know where the deals are at and if anyone has any other info that I might be able to do please feel free to let me know.

Devan, you can now use magazines that hold more than five rounds for hunting in AZ if that is your concern. I saw a company somewhere on the net that build custom aluminum magazines with the front cut out so you can load VLD's. I can 't find them right now. Are you going to change out the stock? I picked up a .243 for my son and was looking for a better stock for it. David

David,

I know they were talking about lifting the mag restrictions, did that go through with the suppressor law? What are the details on it? more than 5 in anything? Can I carry a 20 round mag in my AR or is there still some limits? My wby only holds 4, so no issues there but I could see carrying a 10 or 20 round mag (ain't that right Cody) in AR.

Thanks David! All good news, I didn't know about the more than 5 round limit. I'm thinking though the 5 round my be a little more compact, but will try a 10 rounder as well. Let me know when you find that info for the other mag system that use the vlds. If you want that Sps stock it's yours, it has been attempted to been glass bedded when I pulled it apart. Also has some fancy gold web paint on it that looks like it would come off fairly easy.

Just dropped the the rifle off at the gunsmith in Mesa today. Looks like I'll have back by Jan 1st.

David I found a mag from RWS gunsmithing . It is a 7 round mag for the WSM cartridge, thanks for letting me know about the new law about the more than 5 capacity. Also I should have a suppressor by Jan if all goes well with the Feds.

Right now it is has about a .470 diameter +/-, so he will have to open it up to accommodate the Wsm about .540 +/-. I don't have the exact measurements. A sako extractor will have to be installed as well. Also notching the bottom receiver is probably going to have to be done so the long BC bullets will feed properly. When he throats it, I have asked that to leave it a little short so I can play with the seating depth.

I'm in the middle of a similar project. I have a Rem 700 sps in a .223 and I am going to have it rebarreled by Hart baarrels to a 6xc but I decided to by a replacement bolt from David Tubb. He also makes a short action bolt with a magnum face so its got me thinking about my what next project project will be. shayne

Cool shayne! Post some pics when you get it rolling! I was very very happy with hart on my last rifle. Are you going to do any certain fluting on the barrel?

Pooter your pretty funny! Although that would stink if that really happened! Your going to be jealous when I knock some coyotes tomorrow with the 25 wssm!

The rifle I just got back from Hart was just a standard 243 1x8 24'' barrel. I stuck it in a stock from stockies and its everything I could of hoped for. I'm having very good luck with the 115 Dtac's. It makes you rethink what it takes to shoot long distance, and we are just not happy unless we're in the middle of another project. So what short action standard bolt face caliber should the next one it be.... shayne

Well Its getting close, the smith has it all put together and now it is getting bedded.

Pretty Excited, should be ready to shoot Saturday hopefully!

post-2686-0-69898800-1354758890_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kooter for the pic