Sign in to follow this  
Dodger2

hiking poles or staff

After some close calls almost tumbling down a mountain I'm thinking about getting some hiking poles or a staff....any recommendations

A nice straight yucca pole makes a great "Moses Pole" (staff). They are light weight, strong, and great for glassing off of. You can decorate it to your liking. You will want to wrap the grip area with leather or the self-cling camo wrap, otherwise you will get splinters. I use this more than my trekking poles. I do use trekking poles if I'm packing a load. They are nice because they compress down to fit in your pack.

• Like 1

I have TiGoat poles all carbon fiber extremely light, also a pair of Black Diamond poles that are very light. My dad who is getting up there in years used my poles last year and said they were in the way at first but then I climbed some stuff I did not think I could due to having the poles.

A nice straight yucca pole makes a great "Moses Pole" (staff). They are light weight, strong, and great for glassing off of. You can decorate it to your liking. You will want to wrap the grip area with leather or the self-cling camo wrap, otherwise you will get splinters. I use this more than my trekking poles. I do use trekking poles if I'm packing a load. They are nice because they compress down to fit in your pack.

Yeah man the hippies have been going Moses style for years in the desert. And i don't know if you know this but they hide the "Devils Lettace" in them so watch them hippies!

I 2nd the Black Diamond Trekking Poles. The locking mechanism on them is the best on the market, no way it will come loose on you when you use it to brace a large downward step with a heavy load on. No matter which brand you go with, trekking poles make a heck of a difference going downhill on your knees. Also, it increased my speed on more level terrain and I feel like I can go much further now too. Honestly, I do not think that I would want to do any type of backpacking or back country/off-trail hiking without them.

My wife also complained about them being in the way when she first started using them, but now she too will not go backpacking without them.

+1 on the yucca pole I skin it down stain and put a crutch end on the bottom