Sign in to follow this  
gonhntn

What would you do??

Went scouting this weekend for a early archery gila elk hunt. I got to several of my favorite waterholes to set up treestands and found last years outfitter ladder stands still there. These stands YES have been there since last year. You may ask how do I know that they have been there since last year? Well many of the straps have been chewed up by chipmunks and I recognize them. The local outfitter lives very close by. Are there any laws in NM regarding treesstands and there use??? This is not fair. These ladderstands are all the same and have actually had my stands stolen and replaced with the very same stands. What would you do????????????

It would be a real shame if one of those really big New Mexico chipmunks chewed up more than the straps on those ladder stands! Some of them critters have been known to completely destroy an "abandoned" ladder-type stand. All that remains are little pieces of the stand scattered around like a tornado hit. I have heard of these critters getting crazy and moving the entire stand, back to the stand owner's house. Boy you know you ticked off one bad chipmunk when you find all your ladder-type stands in your front yard set up around your mulbeery tree!

chew them straps a little more and make em fall down.

better yet, leave those puppies strapped up there and just cut the legs off of them as high as you can reach! Isn't that considered abandoned property anyway? I say make them disappear or be on them first thing in the am on opening day! That would really teach em a lesson. AG

If you really want to have some fun and video footage, set up a trail cam on the ladder. Then cut the ladder rungs, at least 3 or 4 high, on one side all the way through and half way through on the other side. I'd like to see the video of them sending there clients up there on opening day. Of course this would probably wreck the water hole for hunting, but would be fun.

I certainly do not agree with people leaving stands up(yes its happened to me), but I sure hate to see people tear up other peoples stuff. I say report them to the authorities. The vandalism in today's society is extreme and if we start dividing ourselves as hunters by encouraging this then we become weaker as a group. The guy who's stuff was torn up this time may be the guy pissed off and tearing up yours or my stuff next time.