Sign in to follow this  
oldboar

Stubborn, but need a nudge...11M archery elk

Hello all,

I'd like to preface this post by saying, I'm not looking for a handout. Just something to help sway me where I set up my base camp during my archery elk hunt.

Here's my situation. I pride myself on scouting on my own, and getting away from the crowds. I don't own a quad, and I don't want one. Normally, I walk until I get blisters, then walk some more. I am hopeful that some of the road closure in the Nat'l forests will actually make for a better hunt...even given my current situation:)

My scouting consisted of picking out 5 different areas to walk through. As of last week, I'd already thoroughly walked three of them. The areas themselves are 3 miles by 3-4 miles wide. If you know anything about this unit....Thats about as big an area you have without hitting the unit border, edge of town, or major highways. That leaves me with 2 area's (that I felt would be good) that are unknown to me, which I can live with....even if I can't get into them before the hunt.

Here the "difficult" part of the story. I talked my Dad into coming out here for my hunt, he's from the Midwest and never seen/nor hunted an elk in his lifetime. He's never heard an elk bugle in the wild. He is elderly, and some days are better than others. For his age he is in reasonable walking shape, and has been walking 1 1/2 miles daily. This will likely be the first and last time we hunt elk hunt together. Sad but true.

As for myself, bad luck requires me have surgery on a badly torn MCL (knee) this coming Wednesday.

I should be walking OK on it for my hunt (my opinion...even if I have to use a cane:), but obviously it curtails my ability to scout some of what I would in the next 3 weeks.

With the help of a friend of mine, I still plan on setting up my base camp, a 1/2 mile to mile deep in whatever area I hunt. I can use my game cart to wheel my tent, food, and gear in over numerous trips. In all seriousness, I'll probably strap my Dad to it on the way in. And....take lots of pictures:) We as a family have a good sense of humor:) This should allow us to hunt as close to possible to the elk.

Here is my question.....without a time frame closer to my hunt...where do the bulls customarily rut in these areas? I have seen old sign (rubs etc), have nice places to wallow.... but have low numbers of elk at this time. Is it likely the bulls will push cows into these areas in the next 3 weeks?

If this unit is anything like other units I've hunted the bulls I'm seing now will likely be somewhere else in a month...so it doesn't concern me greatly...other than positioning my camp so my Dad is close to the bugling/action.

I'm seeing cows, but not in numbers like I'm used to seeing in other units (22, 23, 27).

If you'd care to PM me I'll tell you my areas, and what I think are the core rutting areas. Not looking for hand-outs...just confirmation.

Any help anyone wants to throw out there would be awesome. LIkewise if anyone has questions on 22,23,27 I'd be happy to share with them my experience.

Thanks much!

Jim

I do not see a need to pack in a camp in 11M. Since the elk move miles, you may want to be (or able to be) more mobile, especially if the elk get busted out of your chosen area. I would not want to set up a camp in the elk's bedroom, which you may be doing if your get in the middle of an area away from the roads.

I do not see a need to pack in a camp in 11M. Since the elk move miles, you may want to be (or able to be) more mobile, especially if the elk get busted out of your chosen area. I would not want to set up a camp in the elk's bedroom, which you may be doing if your get in the middle of an area away from the roads.

+1 Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You must be mobile and flexible in a populated area. Too many things can influence elk movement. I understand the "wilderness experience" thing, but you go to all that effert for a remote camp and some yahoo will walk or ride a quad into your area and mess it up for many days.

If you have your vehicle and roads nearby, you can use them as tools to relocate the elk. If necessary, it will be easier to move camp. If the priority is to provide your dad with a good experience, then have a comfortable camp and be careful not to make it physically hard on him. Odds are very good he will see and hear elk anywhere you camp.

I think it is great of you to include your dad on an elk hunt! I tried that with my dad...didn't turn out very well....personality thing, but I tried. On the other hand, I brought my brother out on two elk hunts so far and we had an absolute ball. We hope to do it many more times, if I can get a tag.

All advise comments are correct, and yeah you wont see large number of Elk in this unit. I was out there a month ago and had foresty give me new map and rules (we were camped off good maintained road but wasnt on map) but (correct me if im wrong) you can only do primative camping 100yrds/ or feet from any road that's ON map? So camping away from others will be hard to do as these roads get busy with quad riders on the weekends too. Not sure what hunt you have 1st or 2nd but my wife and I have 1st cow hunt if your in our area stop by we have a Polaris crew ranger and maroon/ gold trim lifted Excursion we would be happy to help any way we can.

• Like 1

Only thing I add is from my experience the Elk are usually active at night and going to water between 10pm and 4:30ish. Then the bulls battle for cows until 8ish then settle down bedding by 10am.

Many years ago a friend of mine from Wisconsin invited his date out for a Cow Elk hunt. During the hunt they were in the woods sitting some distance apart when his dad started motioning about something comming their way and saying "horses, horses" My buddy looked at him and said, " No, Elk Elk". True story.

Only thing I will add to the above great advice is don't be afraid to hunt in the elk bedding areas mid day. Most of my bulls the last 20 years have been taken in bedding areas between 11:30-1:30. Wayne Carlton is the only one I have heard to acknowledge this and only in the last few years. Understand that you will not see the elk again if you bust them out of their beds in Colorado but not the case in Arizona. Instead of taking a nap in mid day go shoot your elk at noon in their beds!!! They will answer your light quack timidly at first and after 15-30 minutes come in to investigate.

• Like 1