Sign in to follow this  
AZBUCKEYE

Guided Caribou Hunts

Thinking about doing a guided Caribou hunt anyone have any suggestions I am thinking maybe Canada vs. Alaska. This will be a 2013 hunt so thought now is the time to start planning

Suggest you attend one of the hunting shows in January held by the Dallas Safari Club in Texas or SCI in Reno. Talk with the outfitters and decide for yourself who offers the best deal. A self-guided hunt from a drop camp in Alaska is doable, if you have contacts up there with the gear you need, but the excess baggage fees the airlines charge now will eat up any savings if you don't.

Bill Quimby

Let me know if you decide on Alaska. I have a super outfitter up there on the Mulchatna River. Basically, it's a DIY hunt, though. He supplies everything, including raft transportation along the river, and you hunt on your own. They then will pack out the 'bou for you. Or you can choose a fully-guided hunt.

Here's the one I killed.

post-82-0-20073600-1344635958.jpg

post-82-0-29907700-1344635959.jpg

• Like 1

Azbuckeye,you could always fly into Fairbanks here and rent a pickup from Airport rentals, and drive up the haul road over Atigun Pass to the North side of the Brooks Range and Archery hunt Caribou from there to Dead Horse.And you can perhaps gain more info from http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum

• Like 1

What is the success rate on doing this? I would love to go to Alaska and take a caribou. Any restrictions on getting the meat back to Az? I guess I am curious on the logistics of this adventure. Is there hotels close? If not, you would have to figure out a type of camp. When is best time of year to attempt this hunt? sorry for all the questions, I just have 0 clue on where to start to hunt alaska without a guide.

• Like 1

Logistically? Have you ever watched Ice Road Truckers? here in Alaska? Well you dang sure wont be driving that road in the snow or ice :) We actually call it the Haul Road btw. Anyhow,once you leave Fairbanks you are pretty much on your own for the next few hundred miles.4-5 hours later depending on conditions you would hit Coldfoot and get gas and food, your last stop for the next 200 miles or so.To Deadhorse.

Once you leave Coldfoot and get to Atigun Pass you start road hunting for Caribou and keep an eye out for Wolves and Musk Ox.You would tent camp.There are several areas where ppl kinda mass camp.Some take jet boats out as other use air transporters to fly to the herds and drop them off.

If you are meat hunting like we do up here then go Mid August-mid September. Season opens July 1st tho.If you want to hunt horns go in October and the meat is piss poor rotten nasty as they drink there piss for the rut and its down right nasty.If you want great tasting meat and slightly mediocre antlers then go as I previously mentioned and remember the horns are in velvet and still growing.

No problem on sending meat home as long as your pockets are deep.

Another catch is that the first 5 miles on either side of the road for the entire stretch from the Yukon River to Deadhorse is Archery only.And walking in the tundra is like walking on tennis balls on a trampolin.Hunt close to the Brooks Range its rocky, near the ocean bout the same,and along the river beds.And by all means if you see caribou and your trying to stalk them as they walk away from you,DO NOT FOLLOW them as you will never catch up.Its very enjoyable and cool up there.Weatherwise no matter if its Aug or Oct,it can snow,rain, be hot as heck and or be windy.

• Like 2

Why would anyone travel to Alaska, figuring the time and expense, to hunt caribou strictly for meat? If you live there, OK, but that would be some mighty expensive meat!

Why not travel there for meat and the experience of hunting caribou? Seems we have different priorities when it comes to hunting. You see I love to shoot an animal with a gigantic rack, however, I also really enjoy hunting. I hav never chased caribou and would love to be given the opportunity. At the end of the day, I do not even know how to score caribou. I have heard double shovel is a great thing to look for. I would be elated with an average caribou and the experience of the hunt.

Catfish Campbell, would you say the same as far as the time of year to go there. I would be really interested in jsut harvesting a caribou, anything that is considered bigger than average would be a great bonus.

• Like 1

Elkaddict, it doesnt matter why.If you enjoy hunting thats the thing.Every year we have out of staters come up here just for the hunt,racks or big bears, and most donate the meat anyhow.Thats the beauty of having money to burn and enjoy what you want to do.Personally I always want the meat and thats what I hunt for.

123456, no problem, glad I could help out.Im sure the only thing you need if your hunting in an Archery only area you need to be IBEP certified.But I would take catfish campbell up on his offer :) Every year I talk about going there to try my hand at a Moose hunt, but work always wins out.

That would amazing to go to Alaska and shoot anything.I would have to agree with 123456 why not it would amazing experience and you can't eat the antlers even tho a huge rack is the plus side to all that meat your going to get. Actually hear that its really good meat. Would it be better to possible drive there to do the hunt in order to bring the meat back cause as said before its going to cost a lot ship all that meat back?