Sign in to follow this  
coueschaser

Salt Blocks

Well lets see,

They allow you to enter bears that come in and stick their heads inside 55 gallon drums to gather up chocolate, molasses and donuts from back East and Canada(curiously, I have never seen a bear with his head in a drum gathering up donuts in Arizona yet). They also allow big Eastern whitetails that were shot over corn feeders from Tejas and other states in the book, so I am going to guess they allow "salt baiting", and if they don't, but they do observe the top two rules then they should be kicked square in the nuts :) .

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

I have seen plenty of bear baits in Arizona. Now I know it is against the law, But I have come across a few in my years out hunting. ike you said though I have never seen a bear on one. They are dry when I find them and not in use at the time. I have put down a way point on the GPS and turned them over to the game and fish. Your deer can go in the books even when taken over salt. Atleast from what I have heard.

Good one AG!! Another great use for the GPS!!

Thank you

:)

Guest Terry D.
Deer cocain is just one option. Also mentioned earlier in this thread are the deer blocks and there are sevaral other commercialy available "mineral enhanced" salt block type products that should produce the same type results. I would bet that they all contain about the same thing and will produce very similar results. My expericnce has been with the deer cocain and it works quite well.

I will also add this..... I think the location is the key and is much more important than what type of salt you put out! Poor location = poor results. But if you find the right spot the deer will hammer it.

I'm a new archery hunter. You talk about location of placing your salt is very important. How do I know were to place the salt ? What do I look for in a location?

Terry,

The location of wher you put out salt is important in that you want to find an area that has good numbers of coues deer. Idealy you want an area that is not going to be over run with other human activity, so getting off the established roads and trails is a good idea. I like to look for deer trails and old scrapes or rubs. I like to find areas that have permanant water in the vacinity (within a mile or so). I also like to find areas which I know contain good genetics and have the ability of producing 100 inch bucks. I like to put salt out in transition areas. What I mean are areas that are in between bedding and feeding areas. Bedding areas can be to thick to hunt effectivly and can be dificult to get in and out of without spooking the deer, and feeding areas can be to open and deer may not spend a lot of time during daylight out in the open. But the transition areas or the fringe type habitat in between the bedding and feeding areas are where the deer (especially bucks) feel comfortable moving around during hunting hours. You also want to make sure that where ever you put your salt that there is a good tree within shooting distance that you can hang your treestand in. My experience with hunting over salt is that mostly does will come in year round. Once the rut starts then the bucks start following the does into the salt. I prefer to save hunting over salt for the late archery season during the rut. My experience with putting out salt is in units north of the Phoenix area, so I have no idea how things would work in southern Az.

One other piece of advise is to go out and buy a trail camera. They are pretty affordable now. I have purchased and used several models that cost less than 100 dollars. Set up a camera on your salt and let it take pictures of the deer that come in. You will be able to see how many deer are using your salt and how often they come in and if there are any bucks.

Good luck!

Guest Ernesto C

Very good TAM two thumbs way up for you!! I agree. Terry you got the answer to you question. God bless :rolleyes:

Ernesto C.