Sign in to follow this  
POB

MUZZLE BRAKE

I have a Win. m 70 in 300 wsm. Kicks like a mule with about a foot of muzzle jump. I want to put a muzzle brake on it. Does anyone have any experence with the BOSS muzzle brake? Winchester put it on the mod. 70 a couple of years after I bought mine. Thoughts? Thanks.

Have your barrel threaded to 5/8-24 and try different ones. The BOSS system works, but I wouldn't exactly call it the best there is... LOTS of different brake designs out there for the AR-10 platform that would work too. There are also a few ways to lessen muzzle jump that don't include a gunsmith's services and putting an expensive brake on it. Proper technique/form would be the first thing to look at. Second, I'd look at the load you are shooting- 300 WSM is a "kicker" in most factory loads and could be handloaded "softer" without sacrificing a whole lot of performance (like trying a lighter bullet weight). Third, NAVCOM rubber... Limbsaver products like the barrel ring and recoil pad can really take the sting out of a hard kicking rifle. Another expensive option is a thumbhole or pistol gripped stock.

To me, 12" inches of muzzle jump is kind of unreal- is this offhand, off of a bipod, or on a rest???

I have a BOSS on my Winchester Mod 70 Stainless Classic in 7mm Mag. The muzzle break does work because I have another 7 mag without one and it really kicks. The nice thing about the BOSS ( Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) is that you can tighten up your groups by adjusting the weight on the BOSS. It's designed to reduce barrel vibrations that differ with each bullet weight. It will take some time and ammo to get it just right but it does work.