Sign in to follow this  
southpaw

AMANDA...NEED YOUR HELP!!!

amanda.......im going to nau and want to major in wildlife management....if you or anybody else can give me any info towards that that would be great....thank you

mark

like what classes i need, what i should expect when i get there...etc

THEY HAVE A WILDLIFE MANAGMENT MAJOR AT ASU EAST NOW. IT STARTED LAST YEAR. I WAS GOING TOWARDS THAT MAJOR BUT HAVE SINCED CHANGED.

Mark,

I don't have any specific info about the wildlife management program at NAU. I assume they have it as a major since you have said you are already going to major in WM there.

Since you have selected a major, they will advise you of all the classes you are required to take there to receive the major.

Classes I would expect any WM major to take at any college include things like Intro to Wildlife Management, Population Dynamics, Zoology, Ornithology, Mammology, Icthyology, Ecology, Soils, lots of botany classes, several Statitics classes, and several forestry classes. I am sure there is more stuff I am not thinking of, but those are the basics. I suggest that if you have optional classes to select that you try and get some from other related fields like fisheries and forestry. If you get to be a wildlife biologist you will need to be able to understand a lot about those fields. Forestry classes will probably include classes on Fire Ecology and that would be a great one to take so you can understand the role of fire in the Southwest.

Many of the classes will include a one hour lecture 3 times a week and probably a 3 hour lab once a week or something like that. Those labs can be held out in the field or in an actual lab where you deal with specimens of plants or animals.

I highly recommend that you work on whatever wildlife projects you can while you are going to school. Many graduate students hire undergrads to work on their projects during the summer. That will give you great practical experience while you are still going to school. Work on whatever you can even during the semester and even if it isn't paid. The experience is golden when it comes time to compete for a job after you graduate. Also, some work experiences can be used as credit toward your degree.

Loads of people drop out of Wildlife management majors during the first two years. Where I went to school they required WMs to take calculus and lots of stats classes and that made a lot of people drop the major.

I would meet with your advisor and get them to give you a course list and tentative plan for what you will be taking throughout your four years. That should give you a good idea of what you have to take and what the options are.

Good luck!

Let us know how you are doing!

And if you have any other questions, let me know.

Amanda

the job that im going for is a game and fish warden....im sure it requires a degree in biology...i read that i need to take a year of lawenforcement classes also...i just love to be outdoors and i think i would enjoy the job...but reading the classes i need to get there kinda scares me...im not sure how much they make but from what i hear its not to good....hopefully it will pay off in the long run...

mark

Hey Southpaw--

I am in my junior year as a wildlife major at the U of A. I was too looking into the NAU program when I was deciding on a school. Tell ya the truth, NAU does not have a specific "wildlife degree" its a Biology degree with a wildlife emphisis. Here at UofA the school has a tailored wildlife program and is very credible. And to be honest with you, when I was in your shoes asking around, it was strongly suggested to get the degree form U of A, they are just a more certified institute.

The classes are intense but if your into it you wont even realize the load youll be so caught up in the material. I am actually looking for another room mate for the fall and if your interested and/or want any other info, just let me know.

Andy

PS hate to burst your bubble but actual game wardens are more cops than anything, they spend most of their time in an office and at mettings pushing papers, but there are lots of other areas of work you can spend time out side doing research, but your defenitly not going to get rich. Let me know. :)

im also going to be a junior this year.....i spent 2 years at a junior college playing baseball and getting my associates...now that its out of the way i can focus on my major...i really dont know exactly what jobs the game and fish offer, can you guys throw a few that i might be interested in my way.......and off the subject im going to take my guiding license test at game and fish...if any of you younger guys would like to work with me and maybe make a little money during the hunting seasons that would be awesome...i honestly have no clue how to start a guiding service...but i do know how to find coues deer...so thats a start right...ahaha...thanks for helping me out everybody

mark

i would be more than happy to help ya out with the guide business. i am 18 and could be the work horse. this is of course if it doenst interfear with my own hunts and school.

casey

Looking at the AZ site http://www.azgfd.com/inside_azgfd/edits/em...openings.html#w , this should give some info. As treestandsman has been trying to say, these type of jobs are hard to get. They probably get 700 applicants for 4 openings. Another thing you will have to look at, the openings they do have are usually for units and areas that are in places in the state that may not be a desirable place to live. If you have a passion for it, go for it. I decided against it when I went through college simply because of the lack of employment opportunities. One thing that I suggest is to talk to someone in the department and see if you can do some job shadowing. I always feel that getting to know people in the department can open doors for you. And they can get to know you. You can do this by volunteering. This demonstrates to them a positive attitude which is the number one thing that people look for in a potential canadate. Forest Service sometimes has opportunities, but with them, you have to be willing to move around the country to move up the ladder. They also have coop programs that you can get into while you go to school. Then you have a job waiting for you when you get out. My $0.02