Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

Vortex Scopes?

I was at Sportsmans the other day looking at scopes for my 30-06. I really like Vortex products and have narrowed it down to either the 3-9x40 Diamondback or the 4-12x40 Diamondback. I like the reticle in the 3-9x40 that has the tick marks for hold over shots. I like the power that the 4-12x40 will provide just has fixed dead hold reticle. What is more important having the extra power or a reticle with the tick marks? Also has anyone used either of these scopes?

I have the the 4-12x40 Diamondback in the BDC. I beleive the 4-12x40 one has the adjustable low turrets and will be able to adjust back to zero, if its like the one I have. You cant go wrong with more zoom as you may put the scope on another rifle in the future.

I just bought the 4x12 diamondback reg.plex on ebay friday.I`m putting it on a pre 64 win.243 for my grandson.I checked out alot of scopes and this one seems great.$171.00 shipped on the make an offer deal,Optics Planet is the seller.

I have the the 4-12x40 Diamondback in the BDC. I beleive the 4-12x40 one has the adjustable low turrets and will be able to adjust back to zero, if its like the one I have. You cant go wrong with more zoom as you may put the scope on another rifle in the future.

I dont really know much about scopes. If you can please educate me what BDC and MOA stand for?

BDC is Bullet Drop Compensator (or Compensating).

MOA is Minutes of Angle (1 MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards).

If you know the ballistics of the round you are shooting, you can rotate the elevation dial on the scope from the known zero at 100 yards to a "zero" at the yardage of your target. It takes longer than a "holdover" on a BDC Reticle, but is probably more accurate. Some of the scopes will offer a "Ballistic Turret" that allows you to do this rotatioal zeroing much more expediently. That seems to be the trend of late.