racer85304

First 4A elk hunt and 2nd elk

This was my first time ever hunting 4a for anything. My first elk was a spike. I know have a spike, javelina, Black bear, and now this bull elk. All where shot in 5bn with a bow other the the bear that was with a rifle but 5bn as well.

I was going up about every 2-3 weeks to 4a since end of may hiking around to get to know the area. each trip other then the first trip up there, that one was just driving the roads to get to know the area, I logged about 10-15 miles on my gps of hiking into areas. sometimes more since i started to really know the area and didnt need to use the gps to get to some areas.

My bull I shot sunday evening the 16th

523959_360259394061143_1167200045_n.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like you've put your time in and were well rewarded. Congratulations on all of your hard work paying off! Very nice bull.

Very nice bull!! Congrats on all the hard work paying off.

Thanks everyone. I passed on a spike friday evening and another small bull on sunday morning. I was in bulls every morning and night. I either passed or was getting busted due to wind and them coming from wrong direction. I had to pack him out about a mile and half to the truck. skull, horns, and hide weighed more then half my body weight. we roled the hide up like a tube sock and cut off at 2nd vertebrae because thats what someone told us to do for a shoulder mount. later I find out i could have cut off more to save my back a little. but it was an awesome feeling walking through the forest all the way back to the truck with the horns on my back.

406517_360257587394657_1597825724_n.jpg

Cool looking bull its awesome to see pack out pics.

Congrats! Patience and hard work do pay off. Nice bull.

That is my favorite unit to hunt for elk. I've got my fourth 4A bull tag in 14 years...all late season.

Mike

Great job getting it done in 4A. I love this unit and have killed archery bulls in this unit with 2 of 3 scoring over 300 inches. The best part is there is no one wanting to fight you because you took "their" bull (...that's right archers in Unit 9 and 10, you know how the guides and their coyotes can get in that unit). We were happy to get out alive and without an altercation this year.