Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

Squirrel hunting

Hey Crew, on any of your recent elk hunts have you been seeing any squirels running around? I usually hunt the Blue Ridge area with my son but this year I want to plan something different. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JD

Saw alot of squirrels in 6a during the archery deer hunt. The northern part of the unit

by Mormon lake area. Very wet up there this year and the most squirrels I've seen in a while.post-8184-0-11745900-1348612893_thumb.jpg

Saw alot of squirrels in 6a during the archery deer hunt. The northern part of the unit

by Mormon lake area. Very wet up there this year and the most squirrels I've seen in a while.post-8184-0-11745900-1348612893_thumb.jpg

Thanks...

Guest akaspecials

I've seen a bunch all over 4a. There are at least quadruple as many this year as last year. I've had good luck finding them around log piles where they are thinning the forest. They nest in those log piles and with archery you can pick them off left and right and they keep peeking out. I would use an air gun in a few weeks though when gun season opens. Loud noises scare them in to the logs and they won't come out for 30 minutes or so. Just driving around you'll see em though. There's a lot of them this year!

I spent mon & tues walking up under the rim. Seen as many as any year before and maybe alittle more to be honest with ya. This should be a very good year for squirrels. Let us know how you did. :)

TJ

I always keep an old arrow with a blunt on it in my quiver. It is a lot easier losing an old arrow than one of my good ones with a broadhead and lighted nock. When those squirrels start barking at you, you just have to shut them up.

I also like to shoot at dove and quail in season.

post-8184-0-60004500-1349069444_thumb.jpg

Great seeing one taken with an arrow. I'm just a little to broke and stingy to shoot my arrows at small game...

Shoot at them on the ground with a Zwickey Judo point... you won't lose the arrow and it is REALLY hard to break one using that particular design. The only modification that I would do is to super glue the nock inside the arrow so it never comes out. Also, next time you get to a decent archery shop- get two flu-flu arrows made. I promise you'll never have more short-range fun with a bow. Flu-Flus are only about 8 bucks a piece and unless you shoot one straight into a rock at less than 10 yards, you won't break them.