Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Is It Legal?

My younger brother (15 yrs old) will be heading out with me on my October hunt. He has been hunting before and has always carried his rifle with him. He recently got a new pistol (.22lr) and wanted to carry the pistol instead of his rifle being that he didnt get a tag. Is it legal for him to carry sidearm? We always go out target shooting, so he never carried being that we used tables to hold all rifles/handguns. Now that we are heading out he wanted to know if he could carry it? I can't seem to find anything, would he have to be 18 to carry while hunting? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I think he would probably be able to carry it if he was 21 but because he is under 21 and it is a pistol he can't!

I would think that he would be considered as actively hunting without a license.

So even if he's just tagging along with me and he's carrying a sidearm he would be considered "hunting"? Is it like that for everyone even if over 21? I've always carried a sidearm on me when I go out with my buddies when they go hunting. Usually everyone in the group always carries a sidearm?

I think he would probably be able to carry it if he was 21 but because he is under 21 and it is a pistol he can't!

Yeah thats what I figured. Thanks for the input!

I seem to remember that it is only illegal to buy a firearm if you are under 21, not own one or carry one (but could be wrong). I always had a sidearm while hunting, even when i was younger. Never thought anything of it.

I seem to remember that it is only illegal to buy a firearm if you are under 21, not own one or carry one (but could be wrong). I always had a sidearm while hunting, even when i was younger. Never thought anything of it.

This is what i was thinking about. My Dad bought this handgun not too long ago for him to plink with and wanted to carry it when he heads out with me. I just want to make sure its legal to do so.

What I know is....

18 yrs old/older to buy Rifle or Shotgun

21 yrs old/older to buy handgun

18 yrs old/older to carry handgun (Open Carry)

21 yrs old/older to carry (open carry & now concealed carry without permit)

But not too sure if its different for younger people who are out hunting??? ( well not really hunting but tagging along)

I have never seen any literature in regards to age restrictions and carrying handguns. Can anyone provide this? I didnt see any in the ARS.

Its great that you are being proactively responsible about it too.

if he has a hunting lic. he could always say he was rabbit hunting, wouldnt buy a lion tag and tell a G&F officer he was hunting lion with a 22 pistol pretty sure 22 isnt legal method of take for a lion

if he has a hunting lic. he could always say he was rabbit hunting, wouldnt buy a lion tag and tell a G&F officer he was hunting lion with a 22 pistol pretty sure 22 isnt legal method of take for a lion

He has no hunting license. He's just tagging along with me on my hunt for the hiking/camping/eating.

The only thing you can hunt with a 22lf is some small game!

Everyone should read the Arizona Revised Statues when you have questions. Some are difficult to read!

http://www.azleg.gov/arizonarevisedstatutes.asp?title=13

I searched for minor and firearms.....Didnt read everything and there may be other sections explain more so read as needed.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03111.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

minors and firearms are a BIG DEAL....Class 6 Felony.....Not sure what class 6 gets you!

Anyway, looks like some provisions do cover a minor's lawful transportation of a firearm and hunting! Hope this help!

He has no hunting license. He's just tagging along with me on my hunt for the hiking/camping/eating.

Make you read my post on the Arizona Revised Statues that I just posted. Lawfully hunting is one of the keys to your question!

Do yourself a favor and focus his attention towards a pair of bino's or a spotting scope. That way he's more gainfully employed, learning something, and you don't have to worry about whether or not the iron on his hip is legal.

The only thing you can hunt with a 22lf is some small game!

Everyone should read the Arizona Revised Statues when you have questions. Some are difficult to read!

http://www.azleg.gov...es.asp?title=13

I searched for minor and firearms.....Didnt read everything and there may be other sections explain more so read as needed.

http://www.azleg.gov...=13&DocType=ARS

minors and firearms are a BIG DEAL....Class 6 Felony.....Not sure what class 6 gets you!

Anyway, looks like some provisions do cover a minor's lawful transportation of a firearm and hunting! Hope this help!

My brother is NOT hunting anything at all on this hunt, not small game/not big game. He is not hunting anything at all. I just wanted to find out if it was legal for him to carry a sidearm.

Do yourself a favor and focus his attention towards a pair of bino's or a spotting scope. That way he's more gainfully employed, learning something, and you don't have to worry about whether or not the iron on his hip is legal.

My Brother already does help out with the spotting. He knows the do's and don't s of gun safety. I just wanted to see if he could carry legally.