Sign in to follow this  
AHUNTER

308 NORMA MAG AMMO

Got this 308 norma mag about a year ago, from a friend who needed cash its a nice looking rifle I just cant fine any ammo? Any reloaders out there already loading this caliber wanting to sell me a box/boxes? Send me a P/M

Don't have any to sell but.... I have been able to buy new .308 Norma brass at gunshows. Not cheap but it seems to last through many loads if you aren't jacking up the pressure to the highest limits. Keep looking and employ your friends to do the same. I buy it any time I see it. This is a great old cartridge that is often overlooked.

• Like 1

No need to use the expensive and difficult to find Norma brass. If you reload and have a set of 308 Norma dies, you can use 338 Winchester Mag. brass. Just run it through the FL 308 Norma die and you will have new cases to use. The 30-338 Mag. case is essentially the same and was designed to use the more common 338 Mag. brass. I would buy new Winchester brand 338 Win. Mag cases, as they will require only necking the case down to 30 caliber and not require heavier full length sizing of once fired cases.

• Like 2

Thanks for comments, Unfortunately I dont reload but have a friend who does he offered to reload if i got dies for it. What bullet grain and powder grain would work best? I went out this morning, I had a box of 180gr the first 8 shots looked good at 100yrd after that the barrel was hot and the shots where all over the place, waited about 20min and it was shooting good again. heck maybe it isnt worth putting the time or money into it? As a 99% archery hunter i dont deal alot with rifles but it does'nt seem right to me, but it was nice to shoot..... :)

In looking at a few reloading manuals, IMR 4831, IMR 4350, and Reloader 19 are all good powders to use for this cartridge. I would recommend using 150gr. bullets for deer. The same weight in a quality bullet such as the Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX, etc. would also work for elk. Reloader 19 was listed as giving some of the top velocities for all bullets from 150gr. to 180gr. Of course, some experimenting is always required to get the best combination of components for a load. You have a great all around cartridge for hunting. Is the rifle a 1903-A3 Springfield, or a Mauser 98, which were all popular conversions?

I have had excellent results with Reloader 22 and the 165 grain Barnes TSX. This combination is elk or deer poison.

mmlj makes a great suggestion to use the .338 Mag brass. If you do that be sure to watch the trim length closely after the neck down process. If you want specifics on my load data just send me a PM.

• Like 1

In looking at a few reloading manuals, IMR 4831, IMR 4350, and Reloader 19 are all good powders to use for this cartridge. I would recommend using 150gr. bullets for deer. The same weight in a quality bullet such as the Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX, etc. would also work for elk. Reloader 19 was listed as giving some of the top velocities for all bullets from 150gr. to 180gr. Of course, some experimenting is always required to get the best combination of components for a load. You have a great all around cartridge for hunting. Is the rifle a 1903-A3 Springfield, or a Mauser 98, which were all popular conversions?

It's a Mauser 98, I don't know much about rifles but was told the barrel with the muzzle brake was custom?? as is the trigger?? Again i don't know enough to know if thats true... I do know it dont kick like my 270WSM

Morning gentlemen.. looking for 308 norma mag ammo or reloading specs. Any and i mean any help would be amazing. Thanjs you ladies and gentlemen. Hope everyone has a great season