Sign in to follow this  
COUESAZ

Arizonas worst bear hunter

Well out of a couple handfuls of bear I finaly had one give me the perfect chance. I missed him Three times. Then two days later I called the bear hotline early Wednsday morning and found my unit was still open. So I head out and glass a few up. Then After my son got home from school we headed out to the spot I had glassed. Sure enough just as I planed the big 400 pound bear stood up and came around the boulder he was bedded under. Boom I let it fly the bear jumped and headed off across the side of the hill. Boom I let another one fly. Dust right over his back. Boom I let another fly dust right over his back. Down over the ridge line and we never saw him again. So about 30 minutes goes by of glassing waiting for that bear to show its self again we decide to move to another vantage point to see if we can see him. The sun is thinking about going down for the night and I look about 100 yards away is a huge brown colored black bear. Standing in a wide open hill side. My son said dad are you going to shoot him. I told him we would let him walk do to the fact that it was getting very close to legal shooting light was borderline and I had to be at work early in the morning. So I did not have time to shoot and get this bear out in time. I ran into another guy that told me that the hunt closed at sundown. I got on the hotline again to find out that I let one of the biggest bear I've seen walk free until next season. It was fun and I better take my old faithful rifle out and shoot it before my Dec Coues hunt. It has not been off in years and this year I missed two big old bear with it.

WOW!

I THINK THE WORST BEAR HUNTER WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND BEARS EVEN ON AN OPEN HILL SIDE. LOL!

SOUNDS LIKE AN EXCITING ESCAPADE.

NEXT YEAR MAYBE HE'LL BE BIGGER

THANKS FOR SHARING THE STORY!

GOOD LUCK WITH THE COUES HUNT!

James

Don't let it get you down. There is always next year!

Haha yea we have hunting down. We passed on a few nice Bear. It was fun doing this with my sons this year. To bad they saw their dad miss some easy shots. Atleast they have seen me sneak some good ones on some Coues Bucks. I even missed a big bobcat a week ago. I was by myself and got a good laugh at myself for getting all worked up over that cat and missing him. After hunting for over 30 years you would think the shakes would go away but they still pop up when you don't want them to. Hope my Brother and There bear camp do good up north. Some good hunters and hounds up there.

Keep your chin up brother... Anyone tells you they've never missed is either lying or insane.

Keep your chin up brother... Anyone tells you they've never missed is either lying or insane.

Or never shot!