Sign in to follow this  
James Gleave

5BN archery elk.

I drew a tag I've waited a long time for, the only problem is this is my first elk hunt. Any sugestions on 5bn

archery bull will help. I've never hunted the area before, but will be scouting as much as possable any

info will help.

Walnut Canyon - northern border of the unit, so becareful you don't cross over the boundry.

Grapevine Canyon

Youngs Canyon

I hunted 5b north a few years back with not much luck.the best hunting i found was northeast of lake mary. sorry not much help. the bulls that i did see were very nice.I even saw a nice bull swim across lake mary into 6a.but that was a tough rut that year.

Just walked through the edge of 5BN 11 miles doing a section of the Arizona Trail.

Found a nice 6x6 bull elk shed and tracks along the trail itself, but didn't see 1 elk that day (about 2 weeks ago). Horse Lake, Vail lake and Prime lake all had water in them. - Everything about hunting starts with water in AZ :P Nice pile of fresh scat up at Horse Lake (Big Bruin in the area) ?

I spent a couple of days at Marshall Lake and that is where I saw the most elk, in fact about 20 of them came down to feed right at dusk. The bull wouldn't budge, but I could hear him in the trees talking to his harem of cows. Marshall Lake was full last year (see picture 1). But now it's down to a low marsh.

I would go buy the 6a hunt map , ( i know you're hunting 5bN) but a decent part of 5BN is contained on this map. It's worth the 12.00 bucks or so & gives you a good lay of the land.

I'll be hiking the next 18 miles through Walnut Canyon probably before the end of summer , I think Desertbull may be right on also :D

I'll be across the pond (lake mary) hunting cow Elk in 6Anorth so we'll push a bull your way.

Good luck and aim for that heart or lungs!

Doug

AzP&Y

post-898-1154061293.jpg

post-898-1154061312.jpg

post-898-1154061442.jpg

Desertbull hit it right on the dot...i could tell you about the sheds that's been picked up from that area this spring but i really wouldn't want to get your hopes up also according to Bull Basin archery shop there was 4 bulls over 400 that was taken out of 5bn archery season last year, you're in for a good hunt