Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

Not killing big bucks

Everyone has their own expectations going into every hunt. If folks out there are anything like me, that 100 inch buck your holding out for starts to get smaller by the day as the hunt goes on. More experienced hunters that are trying to take a bigger buck than the year before or past years before might eat the tag. I have done both as far as shooting spikes and holding out for a big buck with eating tag soup. Sorry, I might be talking with another thread in mind which I swore I wouldn't get into!!!!

You aren't crazy. That was the exact same situation I was in this year with a freezer full of elk meat. My wife also had very similar words for me. Here is one of the better bucks I passed up along with his smaller buddy.

deer1-2.jpg

deer2-2.jpg

NOTE: The following comment is not directed to any one in specific ok?

Any body has the righ to kill the buck they want. I bet that if a hunter kills a monster buck you'll be jealous and/or if a hunter kills a spike or forky you will critizice him and bottom line we will never keep you happy. So to each its own.

There are several reasons why hunters kill small bucks. I remember my first buck, not a big one but to this day I still remember that hunt and it is a trophy in my book.

So the reasons can be:

Your very first buck

You only had the weekend to hunt so you cant be selective and look for a 3 point or better.

Your freezer is empty...no deer meat, no javelina or elk meat.

Phisical limitations.

Or maybe the buck was a 3 point but Casey made it a 2 point after shoting off the antlers :lol: :)

I personally, here in AZ I'm not that selective....but when I go to Sonora.....is a diff. story.

Thanks..............Ernesto C

• Like 1

I don't shoot big Bucks because all of the mistakes Casey has had are always in the back of my mind. J.K. I shoot the buck that gives me the shot in most cases. I can't help that they are always big bucks.:)