Jo Hunter

.270 for ELK

A few years back I sold by ruger .243, ruger 7mm, and 2 bushnell elite scopes to buy one tikka t3 .270, a zeiss conquest, and reloading gear. My goal was to get one rifle and one bullet that I could shoot really well, and use it for all of my hunts. I shoot a 130 grain barness ttx bullet. So far I have taken 2 coues and 1 elk with no problems. I am more confident of making a clean shot with my new setup, and it is a heck of a lot more fun to shoot than the 7mm mag.

Yep gotta Tikka too!

270 for elk? meh.

First Kevin, what the heck is "meh"? If I had your guns I would probably pick a bigger caliber, but since the .270 is what I have, it will have to do. :)

270 worked for me. I recommend a 30 cal. Best in my opinion without going to mag is 30.06. SHOT PLACEMENT sums it up.

A Tikka 270 with a 130 grain bullet work on this elk. 1 shot and it went less than 25 yards.

post-2735-0-05699600-1352868967_thumb.jpg

thanks for the input everyone i really appreciate it!! i almost bought a Tikka a few years back, really liked the gun but passed any way....maybe i will be rethinking that decicsion...

My brother dropped his elk last year at 450 yards with his .270. My dad used his 300 RUM. But I use my 30-06 for everything so hopefully i will get the chance in about 12 days to try it out on a bull in unit 10.