Sign in to follow this  
ultramag

6.5x284 questions

I have a Remington 700 long action that is currently a 30-06 i was wanting to rebarrel, I was thinking of a 6.5x284 in a custom build. I have heard a lot of good things of this caliber. Low recoil, easy reloading, very accurate? I am wanting some input for a new coues gun as this is all it would be used for as for antelope when I can draw a tag. Need some input as well.

Thanks Bryan

Bryan i just bought one a few months ago and i love it i shot a cinder block at 840 yards i would be more than happy to let you shoot it if you want

• Like 1

Great caliber. Neglect the carbon build up in the throat area and you will hate life. Other than that it's great.

Would a rifle chambered in 30-06 be a cheaper conversion. I think the bolt face is the same. Would this be just a screw the barrel in type conversion from a 30-06

I would blue print the action and have it throated for the bullet you wanna shoot with a long action you can shoot the berger 140 seated out to the lands because they will fit in theagazine

I have a remington long action blue printed with a 26 kreiger with a bell and carlson stock topped off with a leupold mark4 6.5-20x50

I have a remington long action blue printed with a 26 kreiger with a bell and carlson stock topped off with a leupold mark4 6.5-20x50

Would a rifle chambered in 30-06 be a cheaper conversion. I think the bolt face is the same. Would this be just a screw the barrel in type conversion from a 30-06

Yes the bolt face is the same. The 30-06, 280, 270, 243, 260, 7-08, 308 etc.....all have the same bolt face as the 6.5x284.

Long actions work very well but are overrated for 6.5x284 usage. A short action with an extended magazine is also adequate. Seating bullets way out there is not needed. You can have a new barrel throated to have a given bullet engage the lands at any OACL. All of the most popular, proven and accurate powders won't fill the case up safely even at shorter COALs. 47-49 of 4350 or 50-53 of 4831 is all the 6.5x284 can handle safely with 140 grain pills. Any of those charges will allow 2.990" lengths which is adequate for a short action with an extended box. Another usefull load is 59 of Retumbo under the 140s and also works with 2.990 but is very compressed. If you need top velocities you will do better with RL17 than with Retumbo. 4831SC and 4350 are the most popular go to powders for this caliber for a good reason. Peak accuracy, low extreme velocity spreads.

With all that in mind, a lot of long range guys converting 30-06s to a 6.5 often go the route of the 6.5-06 wild cat. Many say it feeds better than the 6.5x284 since the 06 case does not have a rebated rim. Never played with the 6.5-06.

Keep us posted as this project develops.

I was also going to suggest the 6.5-06, or even better the Improved version. I just built a 6.5-06 for a friend of mine and the thing shoots lights out. Berger 140 at 2980 fps into 1/2" groups at 200 yards. After doing his I wished the I had went this route instead of the 6.5-284. The two cartridges have almost identical case capacities and load data can be interchanged between the two. The best advantage of the 6.5-06 is you can find brass anywhere by simply sizing 25-06,270 or 30-06 into the 6.5. Need to watch your neck tension as you will need to turn the necks when going down from 30-06 especially. Going from 25 to 6.5 is the easiest way. The major downfall for me on the 6.5-284 is the brass cost, for high quality lapua you will pay a dollar a piece. It can be found cheaper but the Hornady stuff is crap compared to the Lapua or Norma Brass.

Great i just bought hornady brass for mine....... I got some berger 140 i wanna load up now i just hot to figure out how to load these little missles

I got some berger 140 i wanna load up now i just hot to figure out how to load these little missles

A reloading press and a bullet seating die is about the easiest way.

Sorry!!!! I just couldn't resist a little humor.

Hornady brass is consistent and prepped well but does not seem to handle top end loads well. Primer pockets loosen up after 1 or 2 loadings.

I've noticed the same with my 6.5x284 only with no real consistency. Some primer pockets are fine after 6 firings and some pockes were too loose to hold a primer after 1 firing.

I had really bad volume consistency with the ones I tried and the same primer issues as well. Buy the good stuff and be done with it.