rugerman

hunting unit 22

first off let me say what a great website this is! You are doing a great service for us coues hunters Amanda.Thanks for your efforts. I was wondering if anyone has backpacked into the mazatals in unit 22. I'm considering putting in for a tag for there this year.

Yes I have. If you have a quad the roads are endless in there also. I road for 8 hours in there without riding on the same road untill on the way out. great bear to so make sure you get a bear tag.

Aren't the Matazels mostly wilderness? I'm curious where you can ride for hours on a quad. I know of a few roads that access trail heads and such but was unaware there were quad trails as well?

I guess I may be thinking of the other side of the highway. There is a spot off of the old highway up there that is called mormon creek or something like that. You can go back in there and find lots of roads. They are not much good for trucks but great for quads. There are only like two or three roads of the south side of the highway. If I am thinking of the right spot one of them goes to the top of mnt to a tower ther are a few roads in there for quads also as I recall , But not many. That side you will want a lion tag in also. I hope I am thinking of the right spot for you.

Yea, I know the area you are talking about. I believe it's called mormon grove. There are a couple roads that go back into the mountains and basicly dead end at some hiking trail heads. You are right it is pretty good bear country especially at the bottom of some of the deep canyons that hold some year round springs. Believe it or not, but there are also a few head of elk in there as well.

I think the area on the other side of the highway you are refereing to is Mt. Ord. there is a main road that takes you to the very top where the towers are. There are also a couple side roads. Plenty of bear over there as well.

Yep that is the spot. You can take some of the side roads back on the mormon grove side. If you are watching close enough you will find a few roads that are overgrown. But great for quad riding.

The mount ord side is one of the 1st places I ever hunted Coues on. At that time the bottom of the mt ord hill coming out of sunflower going toward rye, we had a turn off, and were able to take a road almost all the way up the hill with a 2wd chevy p/u that had a big cab-over unit on it.

that was 20 plus yrs ago and now I see that road or what is left of it and it looks really tough for a quad even.

Anyway, there are lots of deer but we could never get close enough so I just have memories of what could have been and that steep road.

The north side of the highway has deer and lions too. As I recall the road was easier to drive!

Good luck!

I backpacked into the Mazatzal Wilderness last December. I also had the pleasure of a very long pack out with a good sized buck on my back! I hunted along the ridges between the canyons that had water in them. I found a few exceptional deer and lots of sign. Its very rough country! Everything is uphill! Including the downhills! I stayed above 4000 feet and saw only whitetail. If you're willing to make the effort to get back in a ways, you're likely to see some decent bucks and few, if any, people. What more could you ask for?

Time to burn some boot leather.....thanks, and good luck in the draw

El Macho out