Sign in to follow this  
kphunter

10x50 or 12x50 for for glassing coues?

I'm looking into a new pair of binocs. I use 8x42's for larger game, but I'm thinking I need more magnification and larger objectives to spot coues.

Between 10x50 and 12x50 optics, what are the pros and cons of each? I don't necessarily wish to carry a tripod around the entire time I'm hunting, but would consider doing it in spots. I don't want to go any higher than 12x.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

KP

I'm looking into a new pair of binocs. I use 8x42's for larger game, but I'm thinking I need more magnification and larger objectives to spot coues.

Between 10x50 and 12x50 optics, what are the pros and cons of each? I don't necessarily wish to carry a tripod around the entire time I'm hunting, but would consider doing it in spots. I don't want to go any higher than 12x.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

KP

You should have a tripod!!! I would use the 12's for sure. I use 15's. WT are very small and the more you glass the better chance you will have a killing or at least finding the bucks.

I use 12 x 50 Docter's as my main optics for everything, great glass. You should see what fedex delivered to me today. I ordered a pair of Zhumell Tachyon 25 x 100 binos with built in tripod adapter. These things weigh 9 pounds and are as long as my forearm.I don't plan on packing them around, but to sit on trailheads and overlooks to glass the backcountry.

I like the higher magniifcation glass, although if you are still hunting through thick cover the higher magnification can be a drawback, 8 power is good in the thick stuff. But for long range glassing I would go with the 12 x 50 with a lightweight tripod for extended glassing sessions. Good luck.

I would bypass the 10's and 12's and get some 15's and a tripod. I would favor 10x42 over 10x50 for the weight savings and there's not much less light gathering at the first and last five minutes.

Even a pair of 10's on a tripod helps a lot over handholding. Keep your 8's for around the neck and ready-on-the-quick looking.

I'd seriously consider the 15's and a tripod.

RR

Whatever you get..... get a tripod... It is more than worth its weight for Coues. If you think you'll hunt Coues more than a year or two, get 15x's but get the best high power glass that you can afford.

i agree with most of everyone...get some 15x...and as red rabbit said i would favor 10x42's over 10x50's

I agree with gettiing a tripod. Using a tripod will increase the deer you see by 80%. But I would probably go with the 10x50's. It really depends on what type of terrain you are hunting. If you need more power go with it. But remember the actual land you see on the hill will be less in the 12's, but you will have a closer view. So i'd go with whaever you think is best for the area you are hunting.

Consider the Leica 10-15X50's....2 for the price of....well 2...but worth it if you don't want to carry both. I love mine. A tripod is a must for anything 10 and above for Coues I my opinion.

to answer the question asked. the 12x50's are the way i would go.