Sign in to follow this  
LawDog

November Archery Bull

Well I drew a tag last year so I figured I had no chance of drawing another tag this year. Lo and behold, I drew a late archery tag in 22N. When my wife heard, she said, "Well, at least I won't have to clear out the freezer because you won't get one this year."

That was just the kind of motivation I needed to avoid my mother-in-law on Thanksgiving Day. I braved the 65 degree temperatures, light winds and cloudless sky to show my wife that I'm luckier than she thinks I am.

Thanksgiving day I was sitting on the hill when I saw a few cows come by and a coyote. Oddly enough, watching the coyote was the second best part of my trip as I chirped my cow call and watched him circle around to scan the area. He wouldn't come within 60 yards of me but it was a lot of fun messing with him.

The next morning there wasn't so much as a sparrow. I was beginning to get mad at myself for having screwed around with the coyote when I heard something lumbering toward me. Downwind (or at least it was when I had checked about 20 minutes earlier) about 100 yards I saw an elk and then a bit of a rack. I notched an arrow and sat as still my furiously beating heart would allow. He kept coming, closer and closer and closer when he stopped about twenty yards from me. He was staring right at me but didn't run. He started again, continued toward me and went to my left. I internally screamed, "it's now or never you moron, you'll never have an easier shot!" I stood, drew and fired. He went about twenty yards when I hit the cow call. He slowed up and then started stumbling. In all, he walked about 40 yards and ended up about 25 yards from where I shot him. I have no idea how he didn't catch a whiff of me other than it's entirely possible that the light wind shifted and I just didn't notice it.

It was my first archery anything other than a feral hog. The only bad news was my old digital camera couldn't hold a charge from any batteries except to take two pictures. I'll have to wait until my pack mule, I mean friend, sends me the pics he took. You can't really tell from the pic but he's a 5x5.

post-5606-0-90858700-1353882988_thumb.jpg

Great job! That, like all other november archery hunts, can be a very tough hunt! Were you set up on a trail?

Great job! That, like all other november archery hunts, can be a very tough hunt! Were you set up on a trail?

Yes. There was a really worn trail that led to an erosion tank about 3/4 of a mile away. He was walking away from the tank at about 7:30.