Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Archery Aoudad

At the Bowhunters Banquet this year, where my buddy Lance bought a hunt for two at a ranch in Texas. Lance was very gracious to invite me along on the hunt. We both invited a couple buddies to come along with us that made up a motley crew of guys. We headed out this past Sunday morning at 3am for a 15 hour drive. Monday morning was uneventful for me, but my buddy Gary smoked two Russian bore's. That evening I got into my stand and about 15 minutes later I had 7 Aoudad's, 1 Axis doe, and 3 Mouflan crossing in front of me. I picked out the biggest in the group and let him get a little past me for an angled shot. I hit him between the last two ribs quartering away and exited his far shoulder. He managed to run about 20 yards, and then lay down and expire within a minute of shot. I have included on pic from my treestand showing where my arrow layed (red circle) and you can see the Aoudad (red circle) on the other side of the trees. I am having him mounted in half body pose and plan on building the rocks for him to stand on. Thanks Lance, I had a great time.

The following morning I managed to shoot two pigs, one being a compete pass through, but was unable to find either. I found out the hard way that these pigs need to be hit in the heart or they will run at full speed forever. We were told that they have skinned some in the past and found several broadheads within the animal. They are the toughest animal I have hunted. The other guys in my group ran into the same problems. David

aoudadarrowshot.jpg

Aoudadpic.jpg

• Like 1

An aoudad with archery equipment! NICE!

They make beautiful mounts and it looks like the chaps on yours are super nice.

Sounds like a lot of fun. My friends and I ran into some similar problems when boar hunting in Texas. They are definitely an animal that has to be quartering away or shot low through the leg under the shoulder into those oh so small vitals! I wish we would of done our homework on those critters before we went.

Congrats on a neat trophy!

awesome. I'm going back to NM in Feb to try and get one.

Can anyone recommend a ranch it TX or NM for hogs?

Very nice