Sign in to follow this  
c-ne-elk

Any new requirements?

Does anyone know if Customs or Dept. of Agriculture has any new requirements this year for bringing back capes from Mexico? Or is it the same drill as last year?

We always stop on our way over to check with them to see exactly what they want but was checking to see if anyone has had any experiences yet.

thanks!

Scroll down on this Mexico Forum and look for "Importacion Requirements for Hides From Mexico" .

Is my understanding that they are still the same as last year....but dont take my word for it. You can make sure and check your self here:

(602) 392-4440 x 190 or (602) 392-4440 x4.

Thanks.

Ernesto C

When they changed it 2 years ago - it was WHILE we were hunting. When we went down they wanted frozen, when we came back they said frozen then thawed. They took pity on us after about an hour of pleading.

And even last year when we crossed at Columbus, New Mexico, they wanted them still frozen. We talked to them before going in and they told us this. We told them that the new regulations required that they be frozen for 24 hrs then thawed but they were persistant and said they wanted them frozen. We kept them frozen and had no issues returning.

That's the part that drives you up the wall! What they WANT -vs- what is REQUIRED...

Sounds like I should ask when I go down on Saturday. I wasn't planning on bringing back a cape but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

We spent hours cleaning our capes last year and got to the border and they didn't even look at them. They had so many ticks on them when we shot them that I don't think we could have ever got them all. We were just hoping that it went smooth and we got lucky. You just never know what you are going to get at the border.

Hi. I called them the other day, as we are going down there in a couple of weeks. They said it is the same as last year. Frozen 24 hours, then thawed to come back across. Good luck, and can't wait!