Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

HONDA BIG RED OR POLARIS RANGER

It seem like i see these two the most out in the horthen & southern parts of arizona. Honda has unbeatable tuffness and reliability. The rangers are still having problems with the belt driven Tranny. any advice from both owners and some stories and pics.

I haven't heard of any issues lately of Polaris belt drives. I know they had issues in the past but I think they are corrected. If buying used the 2007 was a belt eater I know I had one. But the 2008 and newer were ok. Had a buddy that had 2200 miles when he sold it and going strong still. The newer suspension on the 2009 and newer are night and day better.

We have a 2012 ranger crew with 4800 miles on it and 450 hrs and runs strong never eaten a belt or frayed one. Just maintenance on the hour. Also have a 2013 ranger crew that is a month old and 1k miles on it and runs stout. FYI the 2012 is for sale with a four warranty still on it if anyone is interested.

I have a 2006 ranger no belt problems but u did replace the factory belt with a Kevlar belt.

I would opt for one with power steering, that darn ranger has most broke my thumbs numerous times (when I am driving and hit a rock it jerks the steering wheel and if your thumbs are in the place....ouch)

I have a 2006 ranger no belt problems but did replace the factory belt with a Kevlar belt.

I would opt for one with power steering, that darn ranger has almost broke my thumbs numerous times (when I am driving and hit a rock it jerks the steering wheel and if your thumbs are in the place....ouch)

One with power steering would really be worth it! My dad and I recently bought an 07 and although we haven't used it much it has been really good to us so far including climbing a pretty nasty hill that I could have squeezed a diamond out of. Needs new tires and a little lift on it to get some more ground clearance. We have an extra belt in the storage compartment (although I do not know how to put it on), it is nice to have there.

I hunted out of a Honda and Polaris in Colorado last month. I wouldnt own a Honda if some one gave it to me! The suspension was horrible and it was gutless. I'm on my 3rd Polaris and they've been wonderful. We've been really hard on them and they've never let me down.

I've replaced the belt on my 07 once. Casey it's easy. Pull the storage box off open the belt cover the broken one falls off. You have to make sure you clean all the old threads off from the other belt. It will wrap around the clutch. Once you get all that out its like putting a bike chain back on a bike. And be sure you put it on facing the way you can read what's on the belt or your power will suffer. If belt breakage is an issue with any polaris ranger you need to replace the engine mount rubber doughnut thing. That will stop the breaking over and over.

My problem with my 07 is all in the front end. Messed up wheel bearings a bent A arm and a bent front strut. Oh wait that may be from it coming off my trailer while going down the road.

And also if you get new rims for any ranger make sure they sell you rims with the corect off set for your machine. I got some from the dealer here in Safford and paid a big amount on tires and rims and they sold me rims for a newer machine and my brand new front tires are ruined from rubbing the steering knuckle. They think I should have known the rims would not work. Oh wait you guys are the polaris dealers in town. So after I change my tires over to my old rims I will have a set of crohm and black polaris rims for sale.

Go with the ranger. For hunting and family trail riding they can't be beat. For dunes and speed there is better out there then the plain old work horse ranger.