Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

What is the best all around binocular magnification?

Nikon Monarchs or Vortex Diamond Back 10x42 sound like the best binoculars for you from what you've written. Try as many binoculars as you can though. Just be careful trying the really expensive ones cause then you'll end up wanting to spend more! :)

+1 for the Vortex. I have the Vortex Diamondback 10x42, and love them. Their customer service is unsurpassed, as I recently learned first hand: I lost one of the objective lens covers on a recent hunt. I called and asked how much for a new one? "Notta....we would be happy to send you a free pair". When the package came in the mail, I had a new pair of lens covers, PLUS a nice hat and t-shirt with thier logo on it, along with a nice hand-written note saying "thank you for buying Vortex...we really appreciate your business".

I also have one of their rifle scopes, and will probably never buy anything else besides Vortex. IMHO, the best bang for the buck out there.

I bought my binos from binoculars.com I believe they cost $230. Free shipping and no tax.

Good luck

Great! Thanks for all the help! I'm going to check out some vortex diamond backs, seems like everybody who has some are very pleased. I will also check out others in that proce range. Once again thanks again for all the help you guys have given!

When looking at optics, specifically binoculars, it is best to look for something with an exit pupil of 5. That is determined by dividing the front objective in mm by the power. Example using a pair of 10x50's you would divide 50 by 10 for an exit pupil of 5. This becomes more important during that legal half hour of shooting before the sun comes up. Manufacturers (some) enhance their optics with coatings for better light transmission. 8.5 and 10 power are the two most popular for hand held binos but you will have more trouble holding the 10x steady because even the small power increase over 8.5 the shake becomes much more evident. Nikon, Vortex, Doctor, Meopta and Zeiss are all decent but spend the most you can afford (buy once-cry once). Places like Cabelas and Sportsmans Clearing House allow you to spread the payments over 4-6 months which is a big plus for those of us on a budget. The problem with trying to compare optics in a place like Bass Pro or Cabelas is the stores are grossly under lit and at most you might be able to look at something 50 yards away which just doesn't cut it. If I were looking for a pair of binos and were on a budget I would do a payment plan and get a pair of Zeiss binos. Steiner binos have individual adjustments for each eye which I find to be a drawback due to having to make two adjustment each time you glass up different distances. I have 8.5x42 Swarovski EL's and also bought a pair of 10x50 Diamondbacks last year as a gift for my son. Hope this helps some. You can also check opticsplanetdotcom for reviews and lots of info (including a optics forum). Don't overlook giving Doug or Neil a call with Camerland as they are a site sponser and may have some options for you which may include demo or trade in binos.

Good info!

I would add that Sportsman's and Cabela's have resolving (optics) charts in their stores and 50 yards is adequate for comparing on a chart. Bass pro does not and needs to fix this. At bass pro you are best looking for the detail on animals such as hair or fathers, compare center and edge resolution in comparable models to help with your decision. Do not pick up the most expensive ones or you will be screwed and max out the credit card after going in to buy the $300 ones. :)

I personally feel that if you like to spot then stalk the best magnification to use is 15x56. And a good tripod like a slik or manfrotto is a must. And when i take off on foot i like 10x42 on my chest. Hope this helps you

IMHO if you want to be serious for coues get a 15X quality pair of binoculars(swarovski, ziess, Leica.) then get a decient to high quality pair of 8 to 10X binoculars for the stalk. Good luck

• Like 1