Sign in to follow this  
huntwithme2

deming area

went scouting for pigs south of deming. seen a few deer but no pigs. even saw a few illigals from a distance. ended up by columbus.

no luck. has anyone seen any deer hunting. i am slowly making my way to hachita and rodeo

thanks

larry

Morenci is in eastern AZ. It is a mine town.

What I have found for javis in NM is around Rodeo and north of I10 in Stiens Pass on the east side of the road. Right on the border of AZ. I live in AZ but frequent both areas to get into someof the different areas I hunt.

Some things to look for when finding them is ocotillos and agave cactus (century plants). They will dig under them for the soft roots. Another thing they love is the low, thick mesquites, they will den in them, and sometimes root them out. Look on the east sides of the hills for these, a lot of mornings the javis will be tearing it up on the sunny side. For scouting look for the rooting areas. There will be holes from 6" to 18" around and up to 12" deep where they root around, usually under a prickley pear, agave, or ocotillo.

Water is another key, find the stock tanks with less rocks. They will drink from rocky tanks but prefer the sides with less rocks. I have seen them roll around in the mud at tanks when it is only 40* outside.

thanks for that info. i hunted north of steins for the past couple of years. the road i take ends up by hwy 70 . for some reason i really like that area. are you refering to steins mtn and steins peek which is just north of steins mountain. this year i might have to take my four wheeler.