Zim

Unit 1 Archery Elk

also take a look at unit 10 for restrictions on the boquillas ranch, when the fees and restrictions start? does anybody know?

Not sure if you are still following this thread hopefully you haven't already filled out your app. Unit 10 would be at best a 50/50 shot for you this year especially if you have 2 applicants on one app. Last year the Bonus pass extended to the 10 BP group, but only 3 of those drew. That means that 36 tags had already been distributed and the NR cap (19) likely met.

If you would like a tag this year I would recommend 3B, 7W, or 8. I would say each of these still have a reasonable # of tags for the size of the unit, and should provide ample room to spread out. I also like that if the rut is not in full swing these units are very glass-able, with lots of juniper country. Units 7W and 8 border unit 9 but don't get near as much attention. Unit 3B borders unit 1. With 11 NR points any of these 3 should be a lock.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Flatlander...unit 8 borders unit 1? I don't think that is correct.

Flatlander...unit 8 borders unit 1? I don't think that is correct.

Nice catch. Corrected.

We decided to just do points in Arizona this year. Reason is we found out my buddy missed a year applying in Wyoming so it knocked us out of the max point pool. Another buddy has a son playing college baseball but freshman year so he won't play as much, so he wants to draw somewhere this year. So we picked a WY archery unit that we should draw 100% with 6 2/3rds points.

This strategy also should make the next couple years more predictable. Should be a lock for AZ unit 1 with 12 points next year. And then year after should be a lock to burn my 16 Oregon points. These two are important for me to plan around because neither can be returned with points reinstated should I draw conflicting hunts..

Although I am not wild about the quality drop that will occur in unit 1 by the time we draw.