pollohombre

Strip Super Raffle Buck

Desertbull:

The groups do not keep the money. The money goes back to G&F in a special fund that is to be used for projects specific to the species that the money was raised for.

No direct benefit to the ADA (or the other groups). I think in some states, the organization that controls the auction/raffle gets to keep a certain % of the loot, but not here in AZ.

S.

i think they keep a portion of it. maybe amanda can clear that part up. there are guys on here that know. don't get me wrong, i buy raffle tags every year. but i buy em because i have a chance to get a primo tag, not because of conservation. and if i had the bucks i'd show up at the auction with bank hooked to my truck and buy every tag i wanted. i just don't see where they do all the wonderfull things that folks say. it's just seems like a way that some elite folks have figured out to make sure they get some great permits every year. money can't make it rain. animals can't eat money. it dang sure helps out to have some cash to work with and the azgfd needs money to operate, but i don't see where these auction tags do much more than help rich guys. and there ain't nothin' wrong with bein' rich. i've always been mad about bein' born good lookin' and not rich. Lark.

Desertbull:

The groups do not keep the money. The money goes back to G&F in a special fund that is to be used for projects specific to the species that the money was raised for.

No direct benefit to the ADA (or the other groups). I think in some states, the organization that controls the auction/raffle gets to keep a certain % of the loot, but not here in AZ.

S.

Thanks for clearing that up. Why would a group like the ADA want to go to the trouble and expense of holding the auction if they get no benefit? Is to draw more people to the banquet?

I think it does draw people to the banquets, just think if the azgfd wanted to they could put these tags on ebay and the money would still be there. I think the azgfd will listen to these groups about projects and allow their input into how it is spent also, that doesn't mean they will listen, I also think that the tags and the money are species specific ( the mule deer tags help mule deer habitat ), I know other species benifit too, but that is the purpose behind it.

Someone who knows more than me can probably explain how it really works, it seems to me that I read somewhere how I explained it above, I hope I am not completely off base.

Lark I am like you on this one I kind of wish it was raffle only, but if I had the money I would be right down there trying to buy any tag I could, so I can't begrudge the person that buys it. I really hope that they don't sell these tags to tv shows, a person oh well, but I don't want the tag being bought by primos or some other group just for a show, to me that would be wrong and I seriously doubt they would also donate all proceeds made from the show to the azgfd, they would probably make enough to pay the cost of the tag and I don't think I like that idea.

Michael,

Yes I have a rear end (And my wife say's it is sexy) He He!!!! When We had this discussion a few month's ago I said I really do not like the raffle that much either.It is just the lesser of two evil's.The main point I was trying to make when I started this conversation was that the auction tag only allows a few select people the chance to shoot a (public) land animal.At least the raffle gives joe public the chance also.When I said the word poach,I was not bad mouthing the hunters.I totally blame the powers to be who give out these tag's.

Noel

Michael,

Yes I have a rear end (And my wife say's it is sexy) He He!!!! When We had this discussion a few month's ago I said I really do not like the raffle that much either.It is just the lesser of two evil's.The main point I was trying to make when I started this conversation was that the auction tag only allows a few select people the chance to shoot a (public) land animal.At least the raffle gives joe public the chance also.When I said the word poach,I was not bad mouthing the hunters.I totally blame the powers to be who give out these tag's.

Noel

I am not trying to argue with any of you guys...you guys are great, I do love a good debate.

There's a whole lot of statements being made on here that are being construed as facts. We are all entitled to our opinions but no matter how much we think we're right, let's all keep in mind that they are only opinions. The things I do know are facts are if you think the only people lucky enough to win a raffle tag you need to see Chappell's new elk video. The raffle tag hunt is on there with none other than Mullins Outfitters and the lucky tag holder Aaron Stringer. I was one of the cameramen on that hunt so I can tell you first hand Aaron spent less money on that tag than you ever will for an elk tag! The look on his face when Jim asked him ''what time it was'' is priceless! I also know for a fact that if any of you can actually prove to me that azgfd or any other organization is stealing money from me and my fellow hunters, I will personaly lead the Lynch Mob to their doorstep. Until then I will keep my faith that our money ''is'' working for our beloved game. I will not start or spread conspiricy theories. I do believe you should question everything but until you get the answers to your questions, you should not speek as if you are educated on the matter. I will also change my underwear every day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This whole discussion I have never bad mouthed the hunters .I am curious about some of your opinions on taking a trophy animal on a hunt like this.Do you guys think it is as much of a acomplishment as taking a trophy on a general hunt.I do not.Here is a example.My dad went to mexico on a unguided hunt and shot a 130 buck.He has shot numerous big bucks in Arizona on public hunts.But none of them have been quite that big.He is the first to tell you that the bucks in Arizona were more of a acomplishment.Do not get me wrong.I am not judging these auction tag holders.I am just trying to see what other peoples feelings are about this.

killin' a 40" buck is an accomplishment. doing it on the strip is even more of an accomplishment. you guys ever been in the big buck country of the strip? hard country for sure. having a buncha guys guiding you, having the whole state to yourself, and lucking into the tag and stuff does take off a little o' the shine, but it's still a big buck. i don't know why he didn't wait until it was hard horned. another thing, unless b&c has really lowered their standards, i don't see it making the book either. not enough typical frame, too many typical deductions and not enough nontypical trash. but dang, it is a big buck. i ain't gonna bash the guy that shot it. but i don't care for the system that allows for this kinda stuff. and like i said, i bought a raffle ticket too. i think the lottery is for suckers too, but when it's a hunnerd million +, i dang sure spend a buck or 2 on some tickets. and i ever win i'm gonna keep the money. same as if i get a raffle ticket, i'll use it. ain't much we're gonna do about it, so a guy just as well take a chance. Lark.

Lark,

I agree it is not easy shooting a 40 inch buck in any circumstances. I was just wondering what the opinions of everybody.I remember a few years ago that somebody bought a auction tag in Utah.He ended up shooting one of the all time biggest typicals.He had a whole lot of guides finding this buck for him.But what was the funny part to me was in one of the magazines it said something like huge public lands buck.Yes it was shot on public lands,but under the same circumstances as our auction tags.If I had a auction coues tag every year for 10 years.I could pretty well guarantee you that I could average 110 points gross over those ten years.Without the help of any guide.So that said I feel any animal shot on a auction tag does not mean the same degree of diffulculty as a regular hunt.

Noel

I agree Noel. Take a look over on MonsterMuleys.com. They have a thread on finders fees where guys are getting up to $10,000 for finding a big buck or bull and putting the guide and hunter on the animal. What a joke. :(