CouesWhitetail

Rebuild Water Catchments in Unit 9

Rebuild Water Catchments in Unit 9

When: The following weekends: July 29-30, August 12-13, August 19-20, August 26-27, September 9-10, October 7-8 and October 14-15. If volunteers can work during the week, we may be able to arrange a work schedule.

Where: Game Management Unit 9

Description: Volunteers are needed to help rebuild a number of water catchments in Game Management Unit 9 to raise the storage capacity from 2,000 gallons to 20,000 gallons. Work will include lots of manual labor plus some welding and fiberglass work. Department employees will oversee the projects. We will camp near the work site. If you have a Unit 9 tag scout while you are working-for-Wildlife.

Contact: John Goodwin at the Flagstaff Regional Office. Phone: (928) 774-5045 or email jgoodwin@azgfd.gov, Clair Harris of the RMEF. Phone (928) 773-0443 or e-mail clair-linda@att.net

or Greg Stainton of the AES, Phone: 602-999-5855 or email gstainton3@cox.net.

MY name is Jim Mullins, (Coosefan's Dad) and this is my first post. I appreciate that Amanda has put this topic on the site. I firmly believe that we as sportsmen should give back to the wildlife and habitat that we get so much enjoyment from. Giving back can be in dollar's spent at a banquet for one of the wildlife organizations or even better, donating time to volunteer on some of these projects. The unit 9 project has been in the works for 5 years and now the physical labor part of the process has begun. It is a great time when people from all over the state meet at a project to work and get something accomplished that benefits wildlife and the habitat. As a thank you to the volunteers, there are 4 rifles and 2 bows that will be raffled off to the volunteers that work on the project. All that you need to do is to work a weekend and your name goes into the hat. Every time you work on the project, your name goes in. They are spliiting the prizes, 2 rifles and 1 bow to the Arizona Elk Society and 2 rifles and 1 bow to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation And it doesn't matter if you are affiliated with either of these organizations, the only thing that matters is that you volunteer your time to the project. I am a newly elected Board Member of the Arizona Elk Society and we all know that the volunteer is the life blood and backbone to any organization. If any of the CouesWhitetail.com members have Elk tags and would like to pick some more helpful hints on hunting Elk, the AES is putting on an all day seminar on the 19th at the El Zaribah Shrine Auditorium. Some great speakers and vendors will be there and lots of door prizes as well. You can go to the AES web site for more information or call Kathi @ 480-882-9477 for tickets. Thanks Jim

Thanks for info on the elk hunting seminar Pops! If you didn't catch that info at the end of Jim's post, here it is again:

AES is putting on an all day seminar on the 19th at the El Zaribah Shrine Auditorium. Some great speakers and vendors will be there and lots of door prizes as well. You can go to the AES web site for more information or call Kathi @ 480-882-9477 for tickets.

Glad to have you on the forum Pops.

Amanda

Jim says some very valid points: Give your money at the functions or your time at the work projects. Whichever we end up doing, it goes directly to our Arizona wildlife. There are alot of people that can give money but many many issues can be solved in donating your TIME to either be a project member, or board member, committee member etc....most all of our Arizona conservation organizations are really hurting for volunteers so anything anyone here on CW can help with will be very appreciated..........Thanks Jim for all you do............Allen Taylor...........

Where are yall meeting, my wife is gonna be out of town, I would love to run up on the weekend of 19th and 20th to lend a hand, Just point the way and give me a time and I will drive up from Wickenburg

R L

Call these folks to get more details on locations and times and such:

Contact: John Goodwin at the Flagstaff Regional Office. Phone: (928) 774-5045 or email jgoodwin@azgfd.gov, Clair Harris of the RMEF. Phone (928) 773-0443 or e-mail clair-linda@att.net

or Greg Stainton of the AES, Phone: 602-999-5855 or email gstainton3@cox.net.

Amanda

Thanks I have been in touch with John from the Flag office, I will be up there some time on sat, I need to drop the wife off at the airport at 5am then I am headed up

R L

Hey Jim, great to have you on the site! I just sent you some money, what else do you want from me? ;) :blink: B) Just kidden, can't wait to see you in elk camp! Jason

Hey Shortypants, if dads in camp.......promise me you'll put some pants on. He thinks you kicked that habit last year when all that horrible stuff happened.

:huh: :lol: :lol:

Hey Shortypants, if dads in camp.......promise me you'll put some pants on. He thinks you kicked that habit last year when all that horrible stuff happened.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You gotta fell sorry for the poor saps that get stuck with me. :P . I'll try to remember my britches Pops!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You gotta fell sorry for the poor saps that get stuck with me. :lol: . I'll try to remember my britches Pops!

Jason, I understand that you told someone that you are a bonefide legal Dwarf. I can only speculate what part of your body is a dwarf but it isn't that 6'2" frame of yours. Also while you boy's are up north you should sign up for one or more of the projects. Hard work will give you that fuzzy feeling inside. Thanks Amanda and Allen, I am glad to be here.

Did I start shrinkin already? Just kiddin Pops, but I,m 6'3''. I'm thinking about signing up Im just trying to figure out which of the many trips planned will work best. Thanks for the info. Jason

Coose daddy, Since I didn't draw shoot this year I will try to make a weekend between sept/oct.. Should I bring a shovel,pick or any other tools?

Is it a dinty moore stew/hot dogs kinda weekend?

Dan

Here is some updated information on the project dates that we need some help for.

Thanks to help from many of you, we've been making good progress rebuilding the old water catchments in Unit 9, but there's lots more we hope to complete this fall. Our next scheduled work weekends are Sept. 9-10, Oct. 7-8 and Oct. 14-15.

TO ADD ENTICEMENT TO GET SOME HELP ON THE UNIT 9 PROJECTS THE AES AND RMEF HAVE TEAMED UP FOR A RAFFLE OF 4 RIFLES AND 2 BOWS. TO GET A RAFFLE TICKET VOLUNTEERS NEED TO WORK 16 HRS. OR ONE FULL WEEKEND AT ANY OF THE APPROVED UNIT 9 WATER CATCHMENT PROJECTS. FOR EVERY 16 HRS OR ONE FULL WEEKEND WORKED YOU WILL GET ONE RAFFLE TICKET. THE RIFLES AND BOWS WILL BE DRAWN AT THE AES AND RMEF BANQUETS IN 2007.

EMAIL GSTAINTON3@COX.NET FOR MORE INFO

On Sept. 9, we will continue to work on catchment #372, putting the tops on

the storage tanks, building the apron support and building the perimeter

fence. We plan to have tanks delivered to catchment #258 on Sept. 8 and the

backhoe prep work done on Sept. 9. If these are on schedule, we will install

the tanks and drinker at catchment #258 on Sept. 10. Otherwise we will focus

on #372. These catchments are fairly close together so we will camp in

between and travel to the appropriate work site.

Directions to the camp site are:

Interstate 40 to Williams; north on Hwy 64; at mile post 224 turn right on

Forest Service road 320; east on 320 for about 17 miles to a sign that says

"Bucklar"; turn left on Forest road 311 and go about 4.2 miles until it "T"s

into Forest road 310; go right on Forest road 310 for 5.0 miles. Camp will

be in an opening with large pine trees; you can set up on either side of the

310 road.

The roads to camp are good in all but the wettest conditions; you can easily

bring trailers or 2WD vehicles.

From camp to catchment #372: continue east on 310 for about 0.3 miles; stay

on 310 which turns left;( at this point you will need a high clearance

vehicle and possibly 4WD to continue); stay on 310 for 1.3 miles and turn

left at a junction (you are still on 310); continue about another 1.8 miles

and you will see the catchment about 150 yards to your left.

Useful tools to bring: 3/4" wrenches and sockets; a battery operated drill;

an extra tape measure; possibly an extra wheel barrow. We'll have

generators, welders and most tools so you don't need to bring anything, but

some extras can help.

I'd appreciate an email or phone call telling me if you're planning to come

so we can plan accordingly. I'll be out of town from Aug. 31-Sept. 6, so I

will get back with you on Sept. 7. My office number is (928) 214-1270 if you

need to leave a message. John Goodwin AZG&F

The elk should be bugling their lungs out so you may want to bring ear plugs

to get a good night's sleep (terrible problem, isn't it!). Hope to see you

there.

Email gstainton3@cox.net or call Greg at 602-999-5855 for more info or to sign up for future projects.

Come out and help on some great wildlife projects.