Guest Ernesto C

Can you identify this?

That's a burrowing owl. Not protected in AZ, but don't screw with them in NM. You'll find them quite a bit on the san pedro in the river bank, and anywhere they can find an abandoned cavern to nest. Neat find.

I ran on to a couple of these owls while working construction back around the beginning of the year. They were in a culvert exactly like the one's you have poster there. They are pretty funny to sit and watch. They'll let you get pretty close. Wouldn't want to have any claws sunk into my face though. Probably wouldn't make for a pretty sight.

yup, burrowin' owls. you'd think that something that lived in a hole like a troll would have stubby little legs, but comparitively to other owls, they are long legged critters. they almost look like a killdeer when they walk around on them stiltly legs. they are a cool bird. i flushed one outta a badger hole a couple years ago while trackin' a buck. shortly after i jumped up the buck and shot it. so they must be good luck too. Lark.

:D .270 has it right on...they are burrowin owls' we had them in our nieghborhood a couple years back...they were feisty little devils...my friends dad got attacked by them...for no apparent reason while he was grilling....they ended up being removed by the fish people...and relocated, because they were causing too much trouble. One person even ended up shooting one and got a big fine

If you want to see some up close head down to Arizona City, down by Casa Grande. They are all over the place out there. Infact one of our builders had to put a house being built on hold for three months until someone could come out and relocate them. Mostly because some hippy lady threw a huge fit and threatened to sue the company for harrassing the birds.

there aren't a lot of em and their numbers are shrinking. they are a cool bird too. her in creen queek there are a lot of em and a lot of em have been relocated by builders, etc. we have a lot of the desert chipmunks too. something you don't see a lot of in most places. these little stilt owls are neat. watch one some time if you get a chance. Lark.

Guest Ernesto C

I get to see this little fellows almost every day,you are correct,they are fun to whatch.In one ocasion one had his leg and wing completly extended like a karate side kick and moments later another one had its wings extended standing on one leg and reminded me the movie karate kid :lol: to bad I did not had the camera with me that time.

There is a big store here in town that I take care of their landscape and there is where this owls live,there are two different couples.In one ocassion they were a little agresive with me but I think they were nesting;I will see if I can see their babies.

That's a burrowing owl. Not protected in AZ, but don't screw with them in NM. You'll find them quite a bit on the san pedro in the river bank, and anywhere they can find an abandoned cavern to nest. Neat find.

Sorry but they are Protected by both State and Federal Law

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/urban_raptors.shtml

Removal is usually not an option:

Raptors are protected by both state and federal laws, and harassing, trapping, killing, or even possessing bones or feathers without the proper permits can result in large fines. Raptors are territorial, and moving a bird to another area may cause it to fight with the current occupants or just fly back using its excellent sense of direction. Most problems are short-term and can be resolved with tolerance or a few small changes. Learning about raptors is the best way to understand how to live with them.

all birds of prey are protected in the U.S. don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. eagles, hawks, falcons, ospreys, even hooty owls. heck, even stinkin' buzzards are protected, but they are called a carrion (rotten, dead meat) bird. Lark.

all birds of prey are protected in the U.S. don't be fooled into thinking otherwise. eagles, hawks, falcons, ospreys, even hooty owls. heck, even stinkin' buzzards are protected, but they are called a carrion (rotten, dead meat) bird. Lark.

Lark are you saying it's illegal to shoot at buzzards :(

only the ones with feathers one em. it really is, so don't shoot none. it's a federal case if ya do. Lark.